No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Salgado; Mendez Rematch in Queue But Gamboa in Sight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Salgado; Mendez Rematch in Queue But Gamboa in Sight

By Jake Donovan - Juan Carlos Salgado extended his second title reign to three consecutive defenses with a 12-round points win over Jonathan Barros in their 130 lb. title fight Saturday evening in Puebla, Mexico.

Scores were 115-112 and 116-111 (twice) for Salgado, who has potentially punched his way towards a career-best payday if current water cooler talk ultimately becomes a reality.

Action was tentative at the start, not uncommon for a Salgado fight. The defending titlist was measured in his approach, sizing up Barros in the opening round before increasing the intensity level in the second.

Barros was game for the cause, taking the fight to Salgado in a spirited round three that saw both fighters have their fair share of big moments. The fight also saw its fair share of fouls, mostly from Barros and not all of which were unintentional.

Referee Tony Weeks was busy in the middle rounds, issuing warnings for rabbit punching. A clash of heads left Salgado with a cut over his left eye, which didn’t at all prevent Barros from leading with his head whenever the action worked its way on the inside.

Despite his opponent’s frequent roughhouse tactics, Salgado grew more comfortable with the pace and distance as the fight moved along. The Mexico City native soaked up the cheers from the crowd as he began to dial in with his right hand and uppercut. [Click Here To Read More]

Gamboa-Salgado is a good fight. Yuri should grab that 130 title over the #2 ranked fighter and move up for Broner.

Comment

Surprised no one cares Gamboa is in talks to return November against Salgado. People must not have read the article.
      Last edited by 4Corners; 08-19-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Gamboa-Salgado is a good fight for Yuri coming off the layoff. Hopefully it's a prelude to a Broner fight sometime next year.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
          Gamboa-Salgado is a good fight for Yuri coming off the layoff. Hopefully it's a prelude to a Broner fight sometime next year.
          What I don't understand is if Mendez is the mandatory how can Salgado fight Gamboa with the title on the line?

Comment

Originally posted by illpapi View Post
            What I don't understand is if Mendez is the mandatory how can Salgado fight Gamboa with the title on the line?
            boxing politics, didnt u know?

really like yuri-salgado...its dangerous fight for both as yuri is coming off a lay off and salgado is ever dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA-
              Quote:

Originally Posted by illpapi

boxing politics, didnt u know?

really like yuri-salgado...its dangerous fight for both as yuri is coming off a lay off and salgado is ever dangerous
              Easy tune up my man. Gamboa via T/KO. He will get the job done faster than Uchiyama and don't forget Roger might be in his corner.

Btw "rumored November showdown"? I never heard of this rumor!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Gamboa vs Salgado is a nice fight, who wouldn't want to see that. Two young prime fighters one of them with the potential to be great.

Comment

Yep, as stated already, good setup match for Gamboa/Broner. Not too much marination.

Comment

Originally posted by illpapi View Post
                    It's explained in the article, though perhaps I did a poor job of doing so.

Mandatory is due by January 28 - nine months after previous mandatory (April 28). Fight will officially be ordered on November 28, seven months after previous mandatory.

Champions are entitled to optional defenses in between then. This leaves room for Salgado-Gamboa to take place any time prior to Nov 28 - the targeted date is Nov 17, week after Pacquiao's next fight and week before Thanksgiving.

The condition for the fight would be that it would have to be contractually agreed upon by both fighters for the winner to secure a fight with Mendez immediately thereafter. Otherwise, title will become vacant and Mendez is leading candidate for vacant title.

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X