No announcement yet.

Announcers- HBO or Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcers- HBO or Showtime

If we compare the announcing of HBO & Showtime, I think it is clear that Showtime does a much better job.

Play-By-Play; While Jim Lampley may have more boxing knowledge than Gus Johnson, Gus actually talks about what is going on in the ring. Lampley spends more time talking about what is going on outside the ring and offers way too much petty psycho-anaylsis. Gus, though a little odd, builds excitement. After all, is there a better line in boxing that "nuts and guts folks!"

Color Analyst- Al Bernstein is far superior to Merchant or Kellerman. Bernstein is objective, describes what is going on in the ring, has a keen eye for telling moments or blows, and is totally committed to the sport of boxing. Merchant spends far too much time insulting the boxers he's watching and Kellerman is decent, but he's no Bernstein.

Color Analyst (Boxing guy)- Tarver over Steward and RJJ any day. RJJ telling Paul Williams to retire is the height of hypocrisy. Steward is decent, but he doesn't really add much: "the fight is going exactly as I expected". Tarver adds some really good insights, such as the way Juanma doesn't close up when fighting inside. While Tarver's English isn't that great and he messes up plurals and tenses, he consistently offers insightful observations while getting better at this job all the time.

At the end of the day, Showtime actually describes what is going on in the ring and they do it insightfully and with authority. HBO, while certainly decent, spend way too much time off topic and engaging in psycho-analysis that detracts from the actual excitement.

A good announcing team can make an exciting fight more enjoyable, while a poor announcing team can make an exciting fight less so. HBO needs to have a good long look at Showtime and start changing things up. IMO
    HBO
    42.86%
    Showtime
    45.24%
    Even
    11.90%
    Last edited by William Blake; 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM.

The "mute" button.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm View Post
      The "mute" button.
      Yea, that's what I do sometimes when I'm trying to score... because sometimes they're annoying...I don't need to know how their vacation to Ireland was while I'm trying to watch 2 dudes fight.... it's irritating.
      I like Sky... but out of the 2, showtime... HBO is too biased

Comment

I dont know, it just depends on what you are looking for. Imo, when you are watching the fight live, play by play is close to irrelevant. Showtime announcers seem less apt to jump on somebodys nuts, which is cool, but hbo brings some positive aspects/inside stuff aswell.

If its pac or mayweather fighting, would rather listen to sky or showtime. But other than that, hbo has their legit moments aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          Yea, that's what I do sometimes when I'm trying to score... because sometimes they're annoying...I don't need to know how their vacation to Ireland was while I'm trying to watch 2 dudes fight.... it's irritating.
          I like Sky... but out of the 2, showtime... HBO is too biased
          Good points. I like Sky a lot as well.

Comment

you guys serious people are actually voting showtime? I cant stand listening to these guys they are horrible, HBO are ten times better

Comment

Originally posted by WarMaidana View Post
              you guys serious people are actually voting showtime? I cant stand listening to these guys they are horrible, HBO are ten times better
              I can't hear what they sometimes because their favorite fighter's nuts are in their mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by WarMaidana View Post
                "Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam, Bam Bam!"- Lampley, Pacquiao vs Clottey

I'll take "Nuts and Guts" any day.

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                  If we compare the announcing of HBO & Showtime, I think it is clear that Showtime does a much better job.

Play-By-Play; While Jim Lampley may have more boxing knowledge than Gus Johnson, Gus actually talks about what is going on in the ring. Lampley spends more time talking about what is going on outside the ring and offers way too much petty psycho-anaylsis. Gus, though a little odd, builds excitement. After all, is there a better line in boxing that "nuts and guts folks!"

Color Analyst- Al Bernstein is far superior to Merchant or Kellerman. Bernstein is objective, describes what is going on in the ring, has a keen eye for telling moments or blows, and is totally committed to the sport of boxing. Merchant spends far too much time insulting the boxers he's watching and Kellerman is decent, but he's no Bernstein.

Color Analyst (Boxing guy)- Tarver over Steward and RJJ any day. RJJ telling Paul Williams to retire is the height of hypocrisy. Steward is decent, but he doesn't really add much: "the fight is going exactly as I expected". Tarver adds some really good insights, such as the way Juanma doesn't close up when fighting inside. While Tarver's English isn't that great and he messes up plurals and tenses, he consistently offers insightful observations while getting better at this job all the time.

At the end of the day, Showtime actually describes what is going on in the ring and they do it insightfully and with authority. HBO, while certainly decent, spend way too much time off topic and engaging in psycho-analysis that detracts from the actual excitement.

A good announcing team can make an exciting fight more enjoyable, while a poor announcing team can make an exciting fight less so. HBO needs to have a good long look at Showtime and start changing things up. IMO

Amen to everything you wrote. You're completely spot on!

Comment

Originally posted by William Blake View Post
                    "Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam, Bam Bam!"- Lampley, Pacquiao vs Clottey

I'll take "Nuts and Guts" any day.
                    Man Clottey wasnt doing much in that fight, I was loving how animated Lampley was getting. HBO FTW. Although I like Tarver on Showtime.

Comment

Working...
                    X