No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arturo Gatti Heads Class of 2013 Hall Of Fame Inductees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    Call me grumpy, but I feel that the bar for inshrinement (sp?) should be raised.

Furtermore, as implied by Freedom, this doesn't seem like the INTERNATONAL BHOF as it seems easier for fighters who was regularly on US télévision has an easier path.

Cliff could you weigh in here?
    But this is the majors so why would you expect anything else? In college football, the guys who play D1 get into the HOF with less than half the stats of guys in other divisions. But its D1, with better competition, more demanding travel.

Comment

YAYYYY...A well deserved honor for a champ...Hope he's smiling down, and may his family find some happiness in June...

Comment

Gatti

Congrats Gatti!!! A warrior, showman and one helluva fighter. May not have the resume that others do in IBHOF, but he electrified the sport and gave fans fights and memories that they will never forget.

R.I.P. Champ!

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Sylvester Stallone opened the flood gates for anyone so I have no problem with Gatti getting in.
          Totally ridiculous comparison. Stallone didn't get in as a fighter. They have a separate category for people who made outside contributions (writers, promoters etc.).

Comment

Thanks.

How is the voters selected?
            Not 100% on who gets a vote in modern, but I know a huge chunk of it is the Boxing Writers Association of America.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              Dariusz won the lineal crown from Hill, tied the record for lineal consecutive defenses, set the record for consecutive defenses of a belt in class, had an extra alphabelt at Cruiser (like Hill) and beat pretty much the same quality opp. Hill's resume hardly awesome and Dariusz beat him one of the best win of his career (Maske). And beat him going away.

Tunney has a very valid point on this and it is a strong case of inherent U.S. bias on face.
              But all defenses are not equal. Its almost the same argument as Vitali's KO percentage. Is it numbers or is it quality?

Dariusz on paper makes a great case. But if you can't properly guage his competiton, its proper to not vote him in.

Comment

The guy in my avatar deserves to be in more than does Gatti. He was a better fighter and every bit as exciting. I find it more exciting to see someone lay A-class guys like Norris and Graham unconscious with one shot, after struggling, than to see someone go life and death with mid-level guys like Ward, Ivan Robinson, and Wilson Rodriguez.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                  But this is the majors so why would you expect anything else? In college football, the guys who play D1 get into the HOF with less than half the stats of guys in other divisions. But its D1, with better competition, more demanding travel.
                  I know nothing about college football, so I don't quite get your post, but there's little doubt in my mind that there's several non-yanks with stronger credentials than Gatti and Hill who's not in the IBHOF.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    But all defenses are not equal. Its almost the same argument as Vitali's KO percentage. Is it numbers or is it quality?

Dariusz on paper makes a great case. But if you can't properly guage his competiton, its proper to not vote him in.
                    What did Hill do more of than him? How can you not properly gauge his comp? You want to make a case that he's not a HOFer generally, I'm all ears. Agree for various reasons.

BUT I didn't vote for Hill for a lot of the same reasons. Great stats, but much more hat than cattle there. Head to head, there is no reason one would be in and not the other.

Well, one reason: the voters. Same reason it took Yuh over a decade to get in.

Comment

I know nothing about college football, so I don't quite get your post, but there's little doubt in my mind that there's several non-yanks with stronger credentials than Gatti and Hill who's not in the IBHOF.
                      can't argue with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X