No announcement yet.

What do you think of Oscar dela hoya's carreer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    I don't keep all my scorecards, and don't still have this one. I haven't watched it in well over a decade (perhaps near 15 years) but my overall opinion at the time was that Quartey outboxed Oscar in several rounds with a superb jab that not only confused Oscar, but also made him go through a very strange, low activity spell.

I felt that Oscar needed the huge last last round to keep his unbeaten record at the time.........and even then, quite a few still thought Quartey unlucky.

I'd happily watch the fight again and see how the more mature Sugarj sees things......

Right Oscar vs Quartey, just watched. As unbiased and objective as possible:

Round 1: 10/9 Oscar (Close)
    Round 2: 10/9 Quartey (Close)
    Round 3: 10/9 Quartey (Close)
    Round 4: 10/10 (Low activity, no one deserved it!)
    Round 5: 10/9 Quartey (Clear)
    Round 6: 10/9 Quartey (Both knocked down, Quartey first. Oscar dominated 1st minute, but Quartey the final 2 minutes)
    Round 7: 10/9 Quartey (Clear)
    Round 8: 10/9 Quartey (Clear)
    Round 9: 10/10 Even, but notes say if I had to be pushed, then Quartey
    Round 10: 10/9 Oscar
    Round 11: 10/9 Oscar
    Round 12: 10/8 Oscar (Very clear with a knockdown and early threat of stoppage)

Final result 115:113 Quartey

Very close fight. The first four rounds were so close that its very possible that in the judges eyes Oscar was awarded the majority of these (which would possibly account for the split decision in his favour). He was champion and the more 'home' fighter. I can see why he might have got the benefit of the doubt in the closer rounds.

My overall feeling is that Oscar's final three rounds made him the moral victor despite my scorecard. Merchant and Lederman had Quartey ahead too, albeit by different routes to me. I've no doubt that Quartey landed more blows over the 12 rounds and he was the fighter more often going forward, he certainly outjabbed Oscar, but his pace was often one dimensional and without urgency. Oscar's combinations were more eyecatching and exciting to watch.

I'd have no problem with either fighter getting the decision or a verdict of a draw.

I'm guessing that the four rounds that Carlos awarded to Quartey were 5, 6, 7 & 8?

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
      Right Oscar vs Quartey, just watched. As unbiased and objective as possible:

Round 1: 10/9 Oscar (Close)
      Round 2: 10/9 Quartey (Close)
      Round 3: 10/9 Quartey (Close)
      Round 4: 10/10 (Low activity, no one deserved it!)
      Round 5: 10/9 Quartey (Clear)
      Round 6: 10/9 Quartey (Both knocked down, Quartey first. Oscar dominated 1st minute, but Quartey the final 2 minutes)
      Round 7: 10/9 Quartey (Clear)
      Round 8: 10/9 Quartey (Clear)
      Round 9: 10/10 Even, but notes say if I had to be pushed, then Quartey
      Round 10: 10/9 Oscar
      Round 11: 10/9 Oscar
      Round 12: 10/8 Oscar (Very clear with a knockdown and early threat of stoppage)

Final result 115:113 Quartey

Very close fight. The first four rounds were so close that its very possible that in the judges eyes Oscar was awarded the majority of these (which would possibly account for the split decision in his favour). He was champion and the more 'home' fighter. I can see why he might have got the benefit of the doubt in the closer rounds.

My overall feeling is that Oscar's final three rounds made him the moral victor despite my scorecard. Merchant and Lederman had Quartey ahead too, albeit by different routes to me. I've no doubt that Quartey landed more blows over the 12 rounds and he was the fighter more often going forward, he certainly outjabbed Oscar, but his pace was often one dimensional and without urgency. Oscar's combinations were more eyecatching and exciting to watch.

I'd have no problem with either fighter getting the decision or a verdict of a draw.

I'm guessing that the four rounds that Carlos awarded to Quartey were 5, 6, 7 & 8?
      5, 6, 7, 9 with both down in the 6th but Quartey clearly dominating the round as you also agreed. I could see him possibly getting the 8th round, but even still I would have a 115-113 in Oscars favor. Even if I gave Ike one of rounds 2-4, he'd wind up with a draw at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
        Was this what started the whole "Winky Wright School of Business" thing that Dan Rafael coined? I can't remember.

That came from Winky turning down 5 million for a Jermain Taylor rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
          Winky was perfect for Dela Hoya's last fight, I really felt DLH made a mistake being weight drain and fighting Manny Pacquiao, losing to Wright wont be shameful as losing to a lightweight.

Cant understand Oscar's reluctance not to face Wright, when his other rivals, Trinidad, Mosley, Vargas, Quartey and Hopkins all fought him.
          Oscar was more than willing to fight Winky Wright.

Winky Wright price himself out, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
            I saw that fight live, DLH beat the piss out of Tito and made him look like Margarito. Oscar put on a boxing clinic.

Too bad it was a 12 round fight and Oscar only came to fight 8 rounds. Running in full retreat and refusing to engage is the opposite of a "boxing clinic".

Comment

Is there proof of this? I never heard their names mentioned together and assumed that's the way Oscar wanted it.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post

Is there proof of this? I never heard their names mentioned together and assumed that's the way Oscar wanted it.
                Yes, there is proof of this.

"As for Shaw last month turning down $6-million (plus $6 per pay-per-view buy above 600,000 homes) to fight Oscar De La Hoya ?

"He offers everyone else $10, 15-million," Wright said, referring to the $10-million Felix Trinidad got for beating De La Hoya in 1999. "I ain't doing it."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/26/Sp...weather_.shtml

This isn't the only interview where he outright states that he turned down Oscar De La Hoya. Not only turned him down, but turned him down for a career high pay day.

Oscar De La Hoya offered Winky Wright a career high pay day and Winky Wright, once again, turned it down.

He offered him $6 Million Dollars in 2005/2006 and he outright turned it down. Stating "It wasn't enough".

Winky Wright is notorious for pricing himself out. He did it against Jermain Taylor, he did it against Floyd Mayweather, he did against Oscar De La Hoya. He's done it against others.

The idea of Winky Wright being an avoided fighter is a bad joke.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                  5, 6, 7, 9 with both down in the 6th but Quartey clearly dominating the round as you also agreed. I could see him possibly getting the 8th round, but even still I would have a 115-113 in Oscars favor. Even if I gave Ike one of rounds 2-4, he'd wind up with a draw at best.
                  Looks like a very similar viewing then. It seems like you must have sided with Oscar in the ridiculously close early rounds.

Ridiculously close fight, shame there was no rematch.....

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Yes, there is proof of this.

"As for Shaw last month turning down $6-million (plus $6 per pay-per-view buy above 600,000 homes) to fight Oscar De La Hoya ?

"He offers everyone else $10, 15-million," Wright said, referring to the $10-million Felix Trinidad got for beating De La Hoya in 1999. "I ain't doing it."

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/26/Sp...weather_.shtml

This isn't the only interview where he outright states that he turned down Oscar De La Hoya. Not only turned him down, but turned him down for a career high pay day.

Oscar De La Hoya offered Winky Wright a career high pay day and Winky Wright, once again, turned it down.

He offered him $6 Million Dollars in 2005/2006 and he outright turned it down. Stating "It wasn't enough".

Winky Wright is notorious for pricing himself out. He did it against Jermain Taylor, he did it against Floyd Mayweather, he did against Oscar De La Hoya. He's done it against others.

The idea of Winky Wright being an avoided fighter is a bad joke.

He was an avoided fighter prior to Shame Mosley taking him on. After he "lost" to Vargas, his next fight was on ESPN meanwhile Vargas fights trinidad, gets KTFO and gets offered DLH right after. If Mosley never fought him, he would have been on ESPN for the rest of his career.

He never turned down money against Mayweather, they wanted him to make a weight he couldnt make and that was the end of that. He wanted too much for the Taylor rematch that is true. After he got big, he wanted paydays that were commensurate with his skill level and not his marketability, which is not how it works in boxing, that he was guilty of but he was an avoided fighter after beating vargas and before facing mosley.

Comment

I for one was neutral to him not facing wright. I never saw a fight that Wright was in that I enjoyed. I think Oscar would have had no problem facing him but what it probably came down to is that the envelope was not worth pushing because Wright is very boring and yes, I believe that Oscar would avoid a guy for that reason. That's one of the reasons I feel he never faced Quartey again, because as Oscar stated after the fight, if he did not change his style to a more aggressive one, there would be no fight.

That's one thing about Oscar that I always enjoyed - he felt he had an obligation to appease the fans. Mike Tyson had the same mentality - give the paying customers what they paid to see. I appreciate other forms of boxing, but that is my favorite style and I love the fighters who take that mentality into the ring with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X