Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Tommy Hearns a Welterweight in his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was Tommy Hearns a Welterweight in his prime?

I know he moved up eventually but fool was like 6'2 sittin at like 142 pounds n sh-t, that doesnt even make sense lmao

imagine if we had that tommy hearns fighting in current boxing tho lol

tommy would injure many if he fought 147 today. tommy was very young when he was 147, naturally mature men will gain muscle and strength and with that comes the weight.

growing up right out side of the Detroit city limits I grew up watching these guys fight on there ways up. Kronk night at the fights with mccrory, Goodwin, kenty, hearns, super bad, ....

anyway, hearns was a nightmare for just about any welterweight ever. Sure hearns may not make it out of acouple bouts, but chances are neither will his opponents................ Rockin'

Comment

Height, Reach, And Power Advantage. The fact he was 6'2 and able to go down to 147 is impressive. Paul Williams was the same way, over 6 foot and fighting welterweight.

Comment

He was fighting at his natural weight, believe it or not.

Same-day weigh-ins were in place until he'd already moved up to JMW. So he weighed in as a WW, and entered the ring as a WW.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
          Height, Reach, And Power Advantage. The fact he was 6'2 and able to go down to 147 is impressive. Paul Williams was the same way, over 6 foot and fighting welterweight.
          Paul Williams wasn't brought up Kronk style, that jab alone would give anyone nightmares. add in the atomic bomb right hands and it gets really scary from there. Hearns was a beast at 147.............. Rockin'

Comment

Thats why Leonard and Duran are thought of so highly since they took on guys like Hearns with no catchweight and other contract crap you hear nowadays.

Comment

I don't think he ever weighed 142. He was a great welterweight in his younger days but was already weight drained by the time he lost to Leonard. I can't remember if the same day weigh in was the rule when he fought Leonard and of course that would make a big difference. I think it was the same day weigh in then which means he could have stayed strong at 147 for many years with the system of weighing in 32 hours before the fight and then re-hydrating. He was a great 154 pounder and a good middleweight but a bit light for that weight and he did not have that good of chin at 160. Don't get me wrong, he was still a very good middleweight but a good puncher could take him out if they landed as Hagler and Barkley did.l

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                He was fighting at his natural weight, believe it or not.

Same-day weigh-ins were in place until he'd already moved up to JMW. So he weighed in as a WW, and entered the ring as a WW.
                I think you underestimate the amount of weight guys can put on in that same day

Comment

Hearns had no weight on his legs, which are the biggest and heaviest muscles on the body. He was indeed an unusual looking WW, but a great one. Almost nobody could live with his reach and power. Wish he was around today.

Comment

I think he would spark out everyone at 147 today, too big, too strong. Mayweather is fighting the likes of Guerrero, Hearns fought SRL/Hagler/Duran.

Comment

Working...
                    X