Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's up for nomination, then?

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
      After seeing Kostya Tszyu get in on the first ballot and Sly Stallone , I decided to take a gander at some of the Hall of Fame members. Some of them are pretty low-grade for HOF'ers. So I got to thinking - why don't we make our own unofficial Hall of Fame here? We could have a write-in ballot every month, let's say, where you can pick up to five fighters you want to get in. Top five fighters with the most votes get in, simple as that. In a year, we'd have something pretty respectable and we could start including trainers and the like.
      I really like this idea, we could do our own TOP 100........ and maybe nominate points for posters we like reading too..... I say let's do it guys..... we need numbers involved with this.... it is what's missing here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        I don't see all that much difference between Morales and Mosley. Morales is five years younger and has won three fights since Mosley won his last one. No active fighter should get in, no matter how ineffective they currently. That removes having to make that distinction.
        Agreed .................................................. .... most sport HOF's have a decent period after retirement before being eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          That sounds nice, but I don't want to arbitrarily decide who can and can't vote on this. JAB's doing a pretty good job keeping the idiots out anyway. And honestly, if some knucklehead votes for the Klitschkos and Calzaghe on the first ballot, it won't disrupt things that much. I believe in democracy!

This is true. And you're right, I don't want to have the whole section contribute names because we'd never settle on who was worthy. Like two or three posters max.
          I'd draw the line at SCTroj.................... A wasted vote for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            Agreed .................................................. .... most sport HOF's have a decent period after retirement before being eligible.

I'm pretty sure that five years is the standard waiting period. Was Foreman already inducted during his 10 year retirement?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
              If the ratio is 5-2-1 (Fighters-Trainers-Periphery), I'll go with...

Fighters:

Henry Armstrong
              Jack Dempsey ("Non-Pareil," the original)
              Bob Fitzsimmons
              Harry Greb
              Sam Langford

Trainers:

Ray Arcel
              Jack Blackburn

Periphery:

Tex Rickard

...This could be a really great thread. Once a month sounds about right, given the huge numbers of individuals we will need to induct from scratch. Will you be counting the votes, Big S? I was thinking --- it could really be all over the shop, because many great fighters may wind up equal on one, two, or three votes, just because there are just so many individuals to choose from. What about a Ballot System, where you or a group of people decide on a short-list (say, 30 for Fighters, 15 for Trainers, 10 for Peripheries, as an example) & everyone is limited to choosing from those? You could do it in eras (say, "70's Week, 90's Week, 30's Week," etc, so it could be randomised in terms of fighters from different eras. Just thinking out loud here, BTW.) Here's hoping it turns out great!
              I think the best way to do a ballot, is to use a 10 points through to 1 point so you get to name ten fighters and that way some names will pick up to a hundred votes from say 15 voters and you can prune that down to whatever number you need for the first Months induction.............. it should only need two weeks for our first agreed names to appear, just a little bit of co-operation needed..... I really think this is something we can all enjoy.

Comment

Working...
              X