No announcement yet.

Fight Night Round 2 - Combatting a Runner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight Night Round 2 - Combatting a Runner

I just started fighting my friend in FN rd 2 and he loves to run block and pot shot. He has really good defense and is extremely frustrating to fight because I feel I have to chase him almost the whole time. I am a boxer puncher but more close to a Gatti style boxer in the game (from Gatti - Ward, not the newest incarnation). I am decent at cutting the ring off but I can't get to him. I try to hit him when I get him cornered but he blocks most of my shots. And I try to go to the body but I can't seem to do that while moving and get anywhere near him. I've even resorted to fighting as Sugar Ray Leonard (I know he is awesome, just not my style of fighting) to try and catch him (he was Winky). It was a lot closer but he still was able to frustrate the crap out of me. I know I need to work on several aspects of my game but is there a good strategy anyone has to combat this? In the last game he tried the same thing but I was able to catch him because you couldn't run and block. I would corner him and throw. And anytime he tried to throw he had to stop so I could trade with him. Now he just moves in and out. I may have to stop fighting with him because even when I can take a round I still am aggravated that I had to fight his fight. Anyone out there have a proven way to beat these people down? And damn this game is a good simulation. If they want to make the fight a stinker they can!

maybe u can try to make him come to you

Comment

Originally posted by boxernyc
      I just started fighting my friend in FN rd 2 and he loves to run block and pot shot. He has really good defense and is extremely frustrating to fight because I feel I have to chase him almost the whole time. I am a boxer puncher but more close to a Gatti style boxer in the game (from Gatti - Ward, not the newest incarnation). I am decent at cutting the ring off but I can't get to him. I try to hit him when I get him cornered but he blocks most of my shots. And I try to go to the body but I can't seem to do that while moving and get anywhere near him. I've even resorted to fighting as Sugar Ray Leonard (I know he is awesome, just not my style of fighting) to try and catch him (he was Winky). It was a lot closer but he still was able to frustrate the crap out of me. I know I need to work on several aspects of my game but is there a good strategy anyone has to combat this? In the last game he tried the same thing but I was able to catch him because you couldn't run and block. I would corner him and throw. And anytime he tried to throw he had to stop so I could trade with him. Now he just moves in and out. I may have to stop fighting with him because even when I can take a round I still am aggravated that I had to fight his fight. Anyone out there have a proven way to beat these people down? And damn this game is a good simulation. If they want to make the fight a stinker they can!

Best option is counter, block and make him come forward and block off his shots. With runners they throw a lot of Straight punches so counter them with hooks.

Comment

Steal the fight, work on your counter, have him come to you, than when you feel you are winning, back off while trying to fustrate him gaining points, look how I beat a runner.

I had my first SD today, at Welter, I was Duran, he was Lenerad (he was ranked almost like me, in the mid, 1,000s).He landed 500 punches, me 300 something, but I won more rounds, and his health was lower, no knockdowns.

I KO'd him 7th RD,at Featherweight, with Barrera, he was Morales.
        So you can aslo try another divsion.
        Last edited by IwatchBoxing; 03-04-2005, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I'd either stand in the middle of the ring and wait for him or backpedal and make no attempt to chase him down. Once it is understood how boring it is I'd probably just turn it off or go do something else.

Comment

Another thing is that you have to confuse him. Don't go head hunting as much, work the body as much as you would the head and when he goes to block the body come back up with a hook & vice versa. And like the other guys are saying become a good counter puncher. I love defense and that's what I work at the most in this game.

Comment

Also he probably wears you down and KO's you. Try to throw less punches and block more. Go into the late rounds with more energy and power.

Comment

All great advice. Now I have to practice with the computer so I can actually work on this stuff. If I try to do it with him while were playing I won't be able to work the techniques effectively and I'll get killed even worse! Damn him! I'll get him yet!

Thanks everyone! Karma for all whom I can give to!

Comment

You easily have the worst signature I have ever seen Boxernyc

I know you are joking, but I am not laughing.

If James Toney doesn't beat John Ruiz I seriously think that I am going to start eating 100 twinkies a day untill I get to heavyweight and then I'm going to take him out myself.

I didn't say win either. I'd go in and hit him in the balls so hard he dies.
                  Last edited by joeboxer; 03-04-2005, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboxer
                    You easily have the worst signature I have ever seen Boxernyc

I know you are joking, but I am not laughing.

If James Toney doesn't beat John Ruiz I seriously think that I am going to start eating 100 twinkies a day untill I get to heavyweight and then I'm going to take him out myself.

I didn't say win either. I'd go in and hit him in the balls so hard he dies.
                    Did you read the thread about how Ruiz is the best Heavyweight? It was on his own website and was sarcastic as hell. I thought it was freaking hilarious. Don't worry I'm already starting to get tired of it. Oh, and if Ruiz does get past Toney good luck with those Twinkies.

http://s35.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...Q2NMSCNA0VR23N

Comment

Working...
                    X