No announcement yet.

Fury vs Pajkic in Manchester

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    Like it or not the holder of the Canadian title is a step down for the holder of the British heavyweight title. It should be onwards and upwards for this kid. Pajcik is, or should be, a tune up.
    You said another tune-up fight, which is a ******ed comment. And he barely just fought a month ago, this is essentially a stay-busy. Absolutely nothing wrong with this kind of hometown interim fare at this stage of a fighter's development. This is how it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
      You said another tune-up fight, which is a ******ed comment. And he barely just fought a month ago, this is essentially a stay-busy. Absolutely nothing wrong with this kind of hometown interim fare at this stage of a fighter's development. This is how it should be.
      Just about all his fights have been tune-ups! I'd like to see him making moves to fighting for a Euro belt or even just defending his title.

Comment

Just about all his fights have been tune-ups! I'd like to see him making moves to fighting for a Euro belt or even just defending his title.
        So, from fight 1 to fight 16, could you plot me the route you would have taken him to correctly develop the raw materials he started out with 3 years ago? Of course the opposition has been limited, he's a 16 fight prospect, still a baby as a heavyweight, who started out in the pros looking like a tub of lard and averaging a fight every couple of months for the first eighteen months-two years of his career. I think he's been brought on pretty well - the recent steps up have provided testing moments for him (and exciting fights for the fans) and he's answered them with the work he's put in to improving his conditioning and polishing and sharpening his skills. It all points to him being pretty much on schedule.

At least he's fighting again soon. I'd rather see him keep busy with a softer touch between the bigger tests than not see him at all.

Comment

So, from fight 1 to fight 16, could you plot me the route you would have taken him to correctly develop the raw materials he started out with 3 years ago? Of course the opposition has been limited, he's a 16 fight prospect, still a baby as a heavyweight, who started out in the pros looking like a tub of lard and averaging a fight every couple of months for the first eighteen months-two years of his career. I think he's been brought on pretty well - the recent steps up have provided testing moments for him (and exciting fights for the fans) and he's answered them with the work he's put in to improving his conditioning and polishing and sharpening his skills. It all points to him being pretty much on schedule.

At least he's fighting again soon. I'd rather see him keep busy with a softer touch between the bigger tests than not see him at all.
          So you don't think that a defense of his title would be a more legitimate move?

Comment

Actually more to the point, what do you think of Pajcik as a fighter? Have you seen him?

Comment

So you don't think that a defense of his title would be a more legitimate move?
              I believe it's a defence of one of his titles, albeit the more lightly regrded one (these days, at least). But, when he's fighting this regularly, Fury squeezing in some CV-filler between more meaningful fights isn't a big deal. This guy has a ripe looking cherry for Fury to pop, so it looks like a decent test on paper still.

Rather than trying to talk up this one fight, though, I was contesting the idea that all of his opponents have been "tune-ups". Tune-ups, for a sapling pro heavyweight? Fury's been progressively matched, for the most part, and that opposition has comprised a learning curve.

Actually more to the point, what do you think of Pajcik as a fighter? Have you seen him?
              Hadn't seen him, due to the lack of coverage of the smaller Canadian events. Going by the fight posted earlier, his style reminds me somewhat of a very poor man's John Ruiz and he doesn't appear to have a big equalizer (unlike Firtha before him - although Pajkic apparently beat Firtha, too). Fury should be able to keep him at range enough to have some fun, get target practice until he stops him.

I'm not saying this shouldn't be a fairly routine outing for Luke. Just that there's nothing wrong with having these kind of fights if you're a very active fighter. He's building his record up and getting rounds and experience. It's not going to be long before he's in with a more legitimate test one way or another, they're not trying to duck or dodge anybody as far as I can tell.

Comment

It's a decent match up but not one that will move him up the ladder much. You could argue he's there already as Chisora was lined up as a Wlad opponent, but we've still to see Fury against a really top guy. I've a feeling he's going to be matched carefully until a Wlad fight late next year or early 2013. Too much money at stake.

Comment

I believe it's a defence of one of his titles, albeit the more lightly regrded one (these days, at least).
                  It's the BBBoC British Heavyweight Title, or Lonsdale Belt. It is not on the line when fighting someone who isn't British.

But, when he's fighting this regularly, Fury squeezing in some CV-filler between more meaningful fights isn't a big deal. This guy has a ripe looking cherry for Fury to pop, so it looks like a decent test on paper still.
                  I've seen Pajcik fight remember.

Rather than trying to talk up this one fight, though, I was contesting the idea that all of his opponents have been "tune-ups". Tune-ups, for a sapling pro heavyweight? Fury's been progressively matched, for the most part, and that opposition has comprised a learning curve.
                  Arguing semantically it could be said that every one of these developmental fights are "tune-ups" to a degree.

Hadn't seen him, due to the lack of coverage of the smaller Canadian events. Going by the fight posted earlier, his style reminds me somewhat of a very poor man's John Ruiz and he doesn't appear to have a big equalizer (unlike Firtha before him - although Pajkic apparently beat Firtha, too). Fury should be able to keep him at range enough to have some fun, get target practice until he stops him.
                  He's a fairly typical heavyweight, not much spark about him. He's a good step above the fodder, he's taking it seriously, I just don't see him rising above the rank of Canadian domestic champ.

Comment

It's the BBBoC British Heavyweight Title, or Lonsdale Belt. It is not on the line when fighting someone who isn't British.
                    I believe poster Stones! was referring to Fury's Commonwealth title. That's the one on the line in this fight, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Shot View Post
                      It's a decent match up but not one that will move him up the ladder much. You could argue he's there already as Chisora was lined up as a Wlad opponent, but we've still to see Fury against a really top guy. I've a feeling he's going to be matched carefully until a Wlad fight late next year or early 2013. Too much money at stake.
                      Originally posted by King Kong View Post
                      I believe poster Stones! was referring to Fury's Commonwealth title. That's the one on the line in this fight, if I'm not mistaken.
                      exactamon, the commonwealth belt is on the line in this one.

If you look at how busy Fury is being having not defended his British title in this time is more than forgivable when you look at the gap in between fights some champions have. Saying that though does allude to the notion that the majority of Fury's fights have been "tune ups" but he is still developing as a fighter and is improving imo.

At each point in his career McDermott was a test and so was Chisora at their respective times. A few warm up bouts to improve his skills is quite savvy, before he either defends against someone like Price, or opts to get it on with Perez....

It's too soon to consider world level despite the overall state of the division, but if he can continue improving and keeping busy there is no reason why he can't go on to take on a few of the American contenders like Chambers and Arreola, if he fairs well against them and the Klits are still around then have a pop but we know the outcome already.

It's all subjective to how he develops but his team are going about it in the right way I reckon

Comment

Working...
                      X