No announcement yet.

did I do the right thing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did I do the right thing?

Last night I went to a boxing show expecting to fight. I weighed in slightly under my normal weight, at 69.8 kilos. Normally I am about 70-71 Kg but somehow i lost a bit of weight on the day of the fight, probably because I tried to make sure my weight was correct, but anyway it backfired and I lost about a kilo. The boy I was meant to fight was 73 Kg, which is over the limit. My trainer told me that we could take the fight, but his advice was to leave it. I wanted to fight but I thought it would be stupid to ignore my trainer, so I left it. I felt bad for doing this and I feel as if its my fault because I tried too hard to keep my weight right. My trainer told me that 3 Kg was too much so I listened to him, but after seeing the boy I was meant to be fighting, I didn't think that he was too big for me or anything, so now I sort of regret turning the fight down and feel like I could have gained some valuable experience. What would you guys have done if you was in the same position? Did I do the right thing by turning the fight down or should I have taken a risk for the experience?
    Thanks

anyone?????

Comment

You need to listen to your coach. I would imagine that you will be able to get another fight within the next month or so. If you have difficulty finding opponents then you might need to give away the weight and take the fight, but if there are plenty more opponents within a couple of kilos I think you did the right thing

Comment

thanks, just wanted to know becaus i felt like a bit of a twat lol.

Comment

Its a 50/50 chance. My first fight was against a kid who had 19 fights already. The kid was 17 and 2. The person I was suppose to fight didnt show so they paired me up with this cat. Granted I lost the fight points but I gave the kid fits. I learned a lot on the job which sucked but Im better because of it. That is what I and my coach considered a good loss. I say that to say ultimately the decision was yours, but I would value my trainers advice as well. If you felt with out a doubt that you could handle the disadvantage then I would have went for it.

Comment

if the other guy wanted to fight he should of make the weight anyways. it is not your fault that he didnt make the weight

Comment

do what your trainer says, he knows best. If he told you not to take the fight it was probably for a good reason

Comment

thanks guys , good help

Comment

Listen to your trainer because he probably said not to fight him for a good reason. If your in a town/city with alot of boxers and you dont have a real problem getting fights then theres no reason to ever fight somebody thats out of your weight class. You can just look at it as more time to train for your next fight without getting a loss on your record (or a win... :S).

Comment

Working...
                  X