Mike JONES Likely To Pick MAYWEATHER, Sr as New Trainer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike JONES Likely To Pick MAYWEATHER, Sr as New Trainer

From Lem:

Philadelphia welterweight contender Mike Jones is considering a switch from trainer Vaughan Jackson to Floyd Mayweather Sr., the father of eight-division, five-belt titlewinner Floyd Mayweather Jr., Jones' promoter, Russell Peltz, informed ******.com.

A 29-year-old, Jones (26-1, 19 knockouts) suffered his first career loss in his last fight by 11th-round knockout in an IBF title bout against 37-year-old Randall Bailey (43-7, 37 KOs), who trailed, 99-91, 98-92, and, 97-93 in their clash on the undercard of a main event during which Tim Bradley dethroned Manny Pacquiao as WBO welterweight titleholder by split-decision in June.

Jones has not returned phone calls to ******.com.

"The last I had heard, Mike was out in Las Vegas training with Floyd Mayweather Sr.," said Peltz. "He hasn't returned any of my texts or e-mails, so I can't make a fight for him until I hear from him."

**Click here for videos of Jones working with Mayweather Sr.**

During his most recent bout prior to Bailey under Jackson, Jones had overcame rugged Argentine slugger Sebastian Lujan by unanimous decision in December, ending Lujan's 12-fight winning streak that had included six knockouts.

By defeating Lujan, Jones earned the No. 1 spot in the IBF's ratings and a berth against IBF No. 2-rated Bailey for the belt that was vacated by Andre Berto. Jones had been a potential rival for the winner of Pacquiao-Bradley, according to Top Rank CEOI Bob Arum.

"Mike was out there training with Roger for about a week or two. He's not there as of this past week, but he was training with him," said Peltz.

"As of last week," said Peltz, Jackson and Jones "had not spoken since the night of the fight. I have no idea what's going on."

Asked if he thought Jones was considering Floyd Mayweather Sr. as a replacement for Jackson, Peltz said, "I think he was."

During an interview with Chris Robinson, Jones said he was "down here learning from Mr. Floyd Mayweather Sr., and I'm learning a lot."

"I'm just hungry to come back and to come back stronger. I want to learn more and to be a better fighter," said Jones. "They say that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. But it got broken, so I'm trying to fix something."

Jackson acknowledged that he has not spoken to Jones.

"I haven't heard from Mike. I've been his trainer since the beginning of his career. So to tell you the truth, I'm kind of disappointed in Mike," said Jackson.

"But it is what it is. He's probably just going for a name in the senior Mayweather, but I'm just going to just move on. I have other people in my stable."

He needs it. He looked god awful against Bailey even while he was winning.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners
      He needs it. He looked god awful against Bailey even while he was winning.
      Not sure I've ever seen Mike Jones look good...

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I am so impressed with his physical dimensions...he should be dominating smaller guys from the outside.

He is like a stronger version of Paul Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post

First half of the Lujan fight, he looked real good I thought. Than, I don't know what happened. And he looked 10x worse than he ever had before against Bailey.

Comment

Watching him live is 10X worse then on tv....the Lujan fight was making people fall asleep on the Cotto-Marg undercard

He just doesn't seem to want to take fighters to the deep end and just coasts

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              Watching him live is 10X worse then on tv....the Lujan fight was making people fall asleep on the Cotto-Marg undercard

He just doesn't seem to want to take fighters to the deep end and just coasts
              How's your boy Proksa going to do against Golovkin???

Comment

281-330-8004!

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners
                  Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfd26

First half of the Lujan fight, he looked real good I thought. Than, I don't know what happened. And he looked 10x worse than he ever had before against Bailey.
                  Lol yea the first half =/. Lets not forget his performance vs Soto Karass either.

The dude is too damn top heavy and Bailey probably cracked that chin already.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
                    281-330-8004!
                    Hit Mike Jones on the low, cause Mike Jones about to blow!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X