No announcement yet.

Is it true that Tito and Whitaker backed out a Quartey fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that Tito and Whitaker backed out a Quartey fight

A couple friends of mines told me this is true.

Quartey and Forrest were the two most ducked WWs of the 90s in general.

Comment

Originally posted by flyest1 View Post
      A couple friends of mines told me this is true.
      rubbish...

Comment

Whitaker had signed the fight already and was tested positive of cocaine and it got canceled. Never heard a proposed fight between him and Tito. When Tito was fighting Whitaker around the same time ODLH was fighting Ike. That led them to the fight against each other

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
          Whitaker had signed the fight already and was tested positive of cocaine and it got canceled. Never heard a proposed fight between him and Tito. When Tito was fighting Whitaker around the same time ODLH was fighting Ike. That led them to the fight against each other
          You're right - Whitaker tested positive for coke, thus killing the bout against Quartey. As for Tito - he and Ike agreed to a November bout but Oscar swooped in at the last second and lured Ike away with a much sweeter deal for that same timeframe.

Comment

Here is a court document about the situation with Quartey vs Tito.

http://www.nycourts.gov/comdiv/Law%2...99/quartey.htm

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              You're right - Whitaker tested positive for coke, thus killing the bout against Quartey. As for Tito - he and Ike agreed to a November bout but Oscar swooped in at the last second and lured Ike away with a much sweeter deal for that same timeframe.
              with all that being cleared, Tito woul've knocked out Ike in my opinion, that being said, i'll always live in shame that the biggest fight in my lifetime between Tito & Oscar was such a bust. here you had two undefeated, in their prime fighters, both wiping out their competition, both young, tall, strong, nothing can be better set for this fight and bam, nothing but garbage. I blame both of them because while Oscar exposed Tito and wrote the blueprint on how to beat him, he spoke a lot about how he would fight a war like he did against ike and would beat Tito, but emid way through the fight, i just dont understand what happened, was it fear of getting hurt? was it something or a punch he felt sometime during the fight that made him start moving, i don't know. and as for Tito, whom i was rooting for, he should had stepped up earlier and make him fight, but he did not live up to his end of the fight deal and go out like a champ, win or lose. and that's what that fight meant to me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nachomas4 View Post
                with all that being cleared, Tito woul've knocked out Ike in my opinion, that being said, i'll always live in shame that the biggest fight in my lifetime between Tito & Oscar was such a bust. here you had two undefeated, in their prime fighters, both wiping out their competition, both young, tall, strong, nothing can be better set for this fight and bam, nothing but garbage. I blame both of them because while Oscar exposed Tito and wrote the blueprint on how to beat him, he spoke a lot about how he would fight a war like he did against ike and would beat Tito, but emid way through the fight, i just dont understand what happened, was it fear of getting hurt? was it something or a punch he felt sometime during the fight that made him start moving, i don't know. and as for Tito, whom i was rooting for, he should had stepped up earlier and make him fight, but he did not live up to his end of the fight deal and go out like a champ, win or lose. and that's what that fight meant to me!!!
                I remember during the Forrest vs Vince Phillips fight. Roy Jones said Tito didn't know if he was a rangy fighter or inside fighter that night. Merchant said Tito and Hoya brought out the worst of each other that night.

I don't understand why Hoya was scared to get hit by Tito. But went toe to toe with Mosley who was 35-0 with 33 ko's at the time

Comment

Originally posted by flyest1 View Post
                  I remember during the Forrest vs Vince Phillips fight. Roy Jones said Tito didn't know if he was a rangy fighter or inside fighter that night. Merchant said Tito and Hoya brought out the worst of each other that night.

I don't understand why Hoya was scared to get hit by Tito. But went toe to toe with Mosley who was 35-0 with 33 ko's at the time
                  Because Mosley was a LW. Tito was a big welter.

Comment

Originally posted by nachomas4 View Post
                    I don't think Oscar exposed Tito. What he showed was that if you run, you will get tired - that's all.

That said, Oscar-Quartey is a tough fight to call simply because of Quartey's jab. That would've given Tito hell. However, Quartey got hit a bit and if he caught shots from Tito, he would've gotten decked--iron chin and all.

Comment

Working...
                    X