No announcement yet.

Big Nog aka Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira needs to retire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Nog aka Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira needs to retire

Look i don't hate the guy or anything , on the contrary , i have a lot of respect for this particular fighter and it's pretty much safe to say that he's already a living legend of this ****ing sport , one of the most accomplished in the HW scene...His career speaks volumes...

Having said that , the guy is way , WAY past his prime.
    I truely don't know how much he's gonna be able to last if he keeps using this "punching ball" technic of his , but that **** can't be good for his brain that's for sure.

Nog's career in a nutshell...is sort of like Muhammad Ali on constant "rope a dope" mode...Only unlike Ali , he didn't just pull that gameplan with a single fighter..like ali did vs Foreman... Nog does the same **** with almost everyone , then pulls a submission out of nowhere or simply wins the decision..

i've never seen an mma fighter take so much punishment in all his fights...
    and not just mma...that guy takes some ****ing brutal punishements
    Even his latest win , (vs Tim Sylvia) was almost part of the routine for him. (compare that with what he had to endure against Fedor or Crocop in his prime) , just another day at the office.

It can't be good...his right eye (or i think it's his left) is going blind too..
    Some will tell me that there's nothing to worry about but **** it...

Yes , i know that a truck ran over him when he was a kid...that he's a true survior and all but still!...today , he's a shadow of his former self and not half the fighter he used to be.. Actually his "prime" years were almost all raped by a single guy (fedor)...Nog's been fighting past his prime for a long time now...

I realise that i'm not in his shoes nor can i deprive him from doing what he loves but all i'm saying is don't be surprised if this guy ends up with alzheimer's or some ****...

The athletic commission always makes a big fuss about past prime champs such as holyfield threatening with suspension certain fighters for much less...And i don't think i'm being an alarmist as far as nog's case is concerned...
    Last edited by gandhalf; 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM.

I think he has slowened down A LOT since he started, just go watch his earlier fights, even against Fedor... But he is still the UFC champion and there is money to be made, it doesn't make any sense for him to retire right now when the big fights and money are finally coming.

I don't see anyone in the present UFC HW division beating him even at his current state.

Comment

people thought Randy should have retired 5 years ago. ya never know in this sport...

Comment

Yea but Nog dpes take a rediculous amount of punishment tho, Sylvia was whoopin his a$$ damn near the whole fight but he should def milk out his popularity tho because he's about to be introduced on TV via Ultimate Fighter, he's got every newbie interested after getting whipped by Tim and still winning, a big fight with Mir and if Dana wins in court, Randy has to fight and the fight will more then likely be against Noguiera

Comment

BTW why the hell is he called Big Nog?

Comment

Forget it lol it totally slipped my mind that Rogerio is his lighter twin brother

Comment

He's still the HW Champ, what's that say about UFC HW devision?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
                BTW why the hell is he called Big Nog?
                b/c he has a twin brother whos a LHW, and an even younger brother who is a lightweight!

nog doesnt need to retire- he will do just fine beating easy competiton in the UFC! I see him facing and beating the following: Frank Mir (very easy fight), then winner of vera/werdum (hes already beat werdum, and any real fan knows if werdum/nog face each other again- their not gonna try and knock each other out), and finally gonzaga/herring/kongo/lesnar/coleman...

Nog easily subs most of these guys and I see him being champ up untill his contract expires/next year and 1/2! He deserves the easy fights he getting along with the money! Nog does not need to retire!

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
                  ...But he is still the UFC champion and there is money to be made, it doesn't make any sense for him to retire right now when the big fights and money are finally coming.

I don't see anyone in the present UFC HW division beating him even at his current state.
                  That's exactly what I was thinking.

On a side note boxing is a tougher sport on the brain then MMA and I'd be willing to bet that Ali and Frazier both took considerably more punishment durring the Thrilla in Manilla then Nog ever has in one fight. But Nog does take way too much punishment in his fights and it could surely have some long term affects.

Comment

Pequenho Nogueira is not related to the Nogueira brothers, get it right.

The end.

Comment

Working...
                    X