No announcement yet.

Penn Declined fight with Melendez. Will return at WW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Declined fight with Melendez. Will return at WW

"I tried to do [Melendez vs. Penn], but it was at the time when BJ was like, 'Yeah, I'm not fighting for a while,'" UFC President White told MMAjunkie.com.

"He wants to come back," White said of Penn.

"I'm done with telling him where to go as far as weight goes. The guy's handled himself in both weight divisions, and if he wants to come back at 170 – plus you get to an age where cutting down to 155 just doesn't make sense anymore."

"(Penn will return) whenever he's ready. That's up to him. Whenever he's ready. I don't ever push guys. Guys know when they're ready. Guys know when they want to come back.

"This isn't a sport where you can just say, 'I know your head isn't in it right now, but get back over here and fight.' This isn't that kind of sport. Guys let me know when they're ready to fight."

"Gilbert Melendez is a Strikeforce fighter. He's been great in dealing with it. He wants to come over here, and he wants to challenge himself against the best, and I know a lot of other people want to see it, too, but he's in that Strikeforce deal.

"The thing that sucks for Gilbert and that's disappointing is that I was 100 percent fired up and gung ho to go over there and work on Strikeforce. The whole thing fell apart. I know he's bummed out about, and other people are, too, but it is what it is. It just didn't work out."
    MMAjunkie.com

Sucks, would've loved to seen that fight. Former #1 Lightweight in the world vs. Current #1 Lightweight....

Comment

Saved him a beating.

Comment

I would of loved to see those to going at it. Based on their style it would of been a competetive fight..

Comment

I literally just finished reading dat on dat mmajunkie ting not long before you posted it kaps. Read a few of the comments aswell n they're all saying he should fight MacDonald!! **** dat, he'd be Rory's blanket! I wished he dropped back to Lightweight or even Featherweight for a super fight wid Aldo. I don't reckon Penn wants to cut weight anymore obviously if he's sayin he'll only come back at 170. Didn't Penn used to fight at Middleweight???

Comment

BJ would have quit again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian View Post
              BJ would have quit again.

Comment

BJ is probably the most overrated fighter in the history of MMA

hands down.

His record alone speaks for itself.

Comment

No way is Penn as overrated as Overeem.

Comment