No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Argenis Mendez-Barthelemy Purse Bid Won By Warriors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Argenis Mendez-Barthelemy Purse Bid Won By Warriors

Leon Margules, CEO of Warriors Boxing, was the only bidder at today's purse bid, which was ordered by the International Boxing Federation - and Margules secured the rights to the super featherweight fight between IBF champion Argenis Mendez (21-2-1, 11KOs) and undefeated mandatory challenger Rances Barthelemy (19-0, 12KOs). Margules, who promotes Barthelemy, placed down a bid of $51,000. He wants to stage the fight in early 2014. Iron Mike Productions, who promote Mendez, did not attend the purse bid.

[Click Here To Read More]

Dang....Mendez's promoters weren't there?

Comment

Argenis Mendez and Rances Barthelemy to Fight Within 90 Days

(Originally reported by ESPN's Dan Rafael.)

Junior lightweight titlist Argenis Mendez and mandatory challenger Rances Barthelemy are due to meet within 90 days after Barthelemy promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing won a purse bid on Tuesday to gain promotional rights to the bout.

Margules, who promotes Barthelemy, was the lone bidder at the IBF offices in Springfield, N.J., offering $51,000. The minimum bid was $50,000. Mike Tyson's Iron Mike Productions, which promotes Mendez, surprisingly was a no-show and did not offer a bid.

Margules will now look for a venue and television outlet to handle the bout, but he was surprised that Iron Mike Productions did not bid.

"I got a call from them a while back about making a deal with me before there was going to be a purse bid," Margules said. "They made me an offer and it was a good offer. I said the number [of dollars] was fine but I needed to know when and where the fight would be and I needed a certain amount of [plane tickets for] travel and then I never heard back from them.

"But I like my guy's chances. Barthelemy can win. I think it's a good fight, two top 130 pounders."

As the titleholder, Mendez is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($38,250) while Barthelemy is entitled to the remaining 25 percent ($12,750).

Mendez (21-2-1, 11 KOs), 27, of Dominican Republic, won the title in March. He knocked out Juan Carlos Salgado in the fourth round. In his first defense, Mendez retained the belt, escaping with a majority draw against Arash Usmanee on Aug. 23.

Barthelemy (19-0, 12 KOs), 27, a Cuba defector living in Miami, knocked out Fahsai Sakkreerin of Thailand in the second round in a June 21 title elimination fight in Minneapolis to earn the mandatory shot against Mendez.

Comment

He had the mando shot before, but they gave it to the other guy.
        I know it was a highly contested decision... but he still won.
        I'm interested int he fight...sucks Iron Mike Promotions didn't even show up to the purse bid

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          He had the mando shot before, but they gave it to the other guy.
          I know it was a highly contested decision... but he still won.
          I'm interested int he fight...sucks Iron Mike Promotions didn't even show up to the purse bid
          Two things that caught my attention: One, Mendez's own promotional company didn't even show. (What a disgrace.) Two, the purses are so anemic. I've always known boxing isn't a very good career choice, but this is just sad.

Comment

Good ****. Hopefully they bring it to Miami. Been a weak year for boxing cards. Usmanee/Barthelemy was a good fight though minus the controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Two things that caught my attention: One, Mendez's own promotional company didn't even show. (What a disgrace.) Two, the purses are so anemic. I've always known boxing isn't a very good career choice, but this is just sad.
              Yea... wtf does that say about your promoter when you as a champion loses the purse bid because your promoter didn't even show up.... that's B.S
              I'd be pissed

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
                Dang....Mendez's promoters weren't there?
                I know man...what the hell is wrong with these promoters? Argenis deserves better than this man. Tyson and the rest of the crew are not right....not cool. Argenis is a special talent...just needs to be in better fights.

Comment

Wtf for 51k I would've bid!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                    Good ****. Hopefully they bring it to Miami. Been a weak year for boxing cards. Usmanee/Barthelemy was a good fight though minus the controversy.
                    I would luv to see that fight in Miami...I would go in a heart beat!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X