No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather still on top after Mannys rise and Fall

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
    SRL waited 5 years to fight Marvin Hagler, even did the fake press conference and everything. So if floyd fights manny in 2013 then he will have done the exact same thing.

the same ww floyd didn't fight, manny didn't fight. so why the difference in how you see them?
    This is so laughably disingenuous it beggars belief...talk about comparing apples to oranges! The circumstances were different back then, a detached retina wasnt only a career threatening injury but a sight threatening injury....Gary Mason retired eight years later with the same thing! Add in SRL's well known problems with coke and there you go. Not only that, but Hagler hadnt just been sparked out, in fact he had taken on and kayoed the most feared up and coming fighter in his last fight.

You guys really scrape the barrell with this crap.

Comment

SRL waited 5 years to fight Marvin Hagler, even did the fake press conference and everything. So if floyd fights manny in 2013 then he will have done the exact same thing.

the same ww floyd didn't fight, manny didn't fight. so why the difference in how you see them?
      i think marquez has put an end to that, dont you?

Comment

• Originally posted by junior gong View Post
        I'm sure there are, but it doesnt make it right. Your defensive stance pigeon holes you as a bumsniff as well, sadcase.
        Admiring a fighter's skills is bumsniffing now, huh? Thanks for revealing your childish rationality skills to us.

Comment

This is so laughably disingenuous it beggars belief...talk about comparing apples to oranges! The circumstances were different back then, a detached retina wasnt only a career threatening injury but a sight threatening injury....Gary Mason retired eight years later with the same thing! Add in SRL's well known problems with coke and there you go. Not only that, but Hagler hadnt just been sparked out, in fact he had taken on and kayoed the most feared up and coming fighter in his last fight.

You guys really scrape the barrell with this crap.
          SRL waited 2 years to fight Hearns and fought duran while the Hearns fight gained more heat, steam, whatever you want to call it. But that is ok so long as he fought him. Now floyd does something similiar and its a huge problem. GTFO!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
            i think marquez has put an end to that, dont you?
            DId losing to duran make srl/hearns any less?

Comment

• manny was always overrated.....he can't even handle a 40 yr old career featherweight that he out-weight by five pounds.

Comment

This is a brilliant post, sums up my feelings on the whole manny floyd thing. The concept of the best fighters fighting the best fighters and the example you give(srl,duran,hagler, hearns) is something that seems to be completely lost on Mayweather fans or in the more extreme cases of idiocy, they even attempt to tear down these guys achievements next to floyds. Sad times.
                yeah boxing is in a sad state, when you celebrate a guy being the top fighter in the sport, and he barely fights once a year, while cats in the division, and cats like ward (and ya know i ain't crazy about ward's style..lol), martinez, etc. are keeping an active sched...i didn't know you got extra points, for time served...lol

Comment

DId losing to duran make srl/hearns any less?
                  come on dunn. its not happening. even if it does, it doesnt have the same momentum as before. it'd be sort of like floyd vs cotto in a way. wanted to see it years ago, but now? not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                    didn't i just see fmj fight cotto, after manny pac did a number on him?...i mean honestly, i coulda swore it was still about all the top guys in, and around, a division, fighting each other, to see who is the best...hell, srl tko'd hearns, and hagler ko'd him as well a few years later..., yet, hearns, beat a srl and hagler common opponent in duran...its a part of the game...

point is, lets not get too carried away with the excuses...this is boxing man...both sides can be guilty of dirty pool, and you still have one guy who seems to find a way to fight everybody, vs. a guy who's been ultra-selective about who and when he fights...of course a strong case will be made about the ultra selective fighter being reluctant to fight the tougher fights in the division...
                    Did Floyd refuse to fight Cotto when he was considered to be the world's number 1 WW at a catch wieght only to turn around and fight him when he was no longer considered a threat and a legitimate opponent? It's not the same thing. Furhtermore, Floyd moved up to fight Cotto. Manny should have fought Shane back in '09, which would have made a lot more sense than fighting Cotto. Manny doesn't fight everybody the only difference is he fights more than Floyd. It's not about how much you fight, it's about who you fight and when you fight them. Take your blinders off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
                      Did Floyd refuse to fight Cotto when he was considered to be the world's number 1 WW at a catch wieght only to turn around and fight him when he was no longer considered a threat and a legitimate opponent? It's not the same thing. Furhtermore, Floyd moved up to fight Cotto. Manny should have fought Shane back in '09, which would have made a lot more sense than fighting Cotto. Manny doesn't fight everybody the only difference is he fights more than Floyd. It's not about how much you fight, it's about who you fight and when you fight them. Take your blinders off.
                      yeah and cotto vs pac was a pick em fight at the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X