Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get the top 3 welterweights of each decade, and compare?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wmute View Post
    I hate to bring this up in BH, but Margarito was caught cheating. That should automatically put him out of the question. That's me at least.
    That's a good point.

The same applies for Mosley also for the last decade.

Comment

God Damn the 70s was really weak era for WWs. Napoles was great but I can't imagine Cueves or palomino being top 3 in other decade

Oh and Margarito was caught attempting to cheat not actually cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Don't think so.

Duran was only at WW until 81 he moved up after his loss to Leonard and never returned his only win at WW in the 80's was against Leonard which of course was a great win but can he be ranked in the Top 3 WW's of that decade with 1 win there and 1 year of fighting there? Don't think so.

I don't know I don't think Mayweather or Pacquaio has strong WW resume's. I guess Shane could be there he has some great wins.

I'd say Margarito would be in the Top 3 for the last era after all he was there for a long time dominating and was considered the best WW or one of the best for mutiple years.
        I'd put Duran there, just because I'm a fan and I don't care how biased I am.

Of the 2000s, it's hard to argue against Mayweather and Margarito. Margarito for being the most consistently rated of the decade, and Mayweather for being the best fighter throughou. Pac has one win there, so I wouldn't even consider him. Mosley has Oscar and Margarito as high profile wins. Vernon Forrest has Mosley. Cotto has Mosley and Clottey maybe, if you want to mention him.

A third fighter during the 2000s is hard. No one really stuck around at the weight, except Margarito and Mayweather, most the guys I would think of have one or two good wins and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          God Damn the 70s was really weak era for WWs. Napoles was great but I can't imagine Cueves or palomino being top 3 in other decade

Oh and Margarito was caught attempting to cheat not actually cheating.
          I'm surprised you don't rate Cuevas considering his list of Title defenses.

You tend to have a hard-on for Title defenses. Well, most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            I'd put Duran there, just because I'm a fan and I don't care how biased I am.

Of the 2000s, it's hard to argue against Mayweather and Margarito. Margarito for being the most consistently rated of the decade, and Mayweather for being the best fighter throughou. Pac has one win there, so I wouldn't even consider him. Mosley has Oscar and Margarito as high profile wins. Vernon Forrest has Mosley. Cotto has Mosley and Clottey maybe, if you want to mention him.

A third fighter during the 2000s is hard. No one really stuck around at the weight, except Margarito and Mayweather, most the guys I would think of have one or two good wins and that's it.
            In terms of the "best" then of course he's in there but greatness I just don't know he only really had 1 fight and 1 year in the 80's at WW and that was Leonard.

The 00's is hard :lol: Not many did an awful lot at the weight.

Comment

I'm surprised you don't rate Cuevas considering his list of Title defenses.

You tend to have a hard-on for Title defenses. Well, most of the time.
              What are you talking about? Title defenses show consistency which is important but obviously its not a good thing when one win over Harold Weston(very solid contender) is jewel of your reign. I don't think Cueves would be top 3 in any other decade
              Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 04-08-2012, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                What are you talking about? Title defenses show consistency which is important but obviously its not a good thing when Harold Weston(solid contender) is jewel of your reign. I don't think Cueves would be top 3 in any other decade
                Not sure I mean you consider Steve Collins and Virgil Hill to be ranked highly I can only assume that is mainly down to Title defenses.

You consider Barrera to have one of the greatest fighters of all time, he has a long list of Title defenses.

Felix Trinidad another one.

Monzon another one.

Mike McCallum another one.

There's more, I can't remember.

Not that they aren't good or great fighters just seems a lot of the fighters you rank highly have a high number of Title defenses and I would have thought you would rate Cuevas quite highly.

Comment

Not sure I mean you consider Steve Collins and Virgil Hill to be ranked highly I can only assume that is mainly down to Title defenses.

You consider Barrera to have one of the greatest fighters of all time, he has a long list of Title defenses.

Felix Trinidad another one.

Monzon another one.

Mike McCallum another one.

There's more, I can't remember.

Not that they aren't good or great fighters just seems a lot of the fighters you rank highly have a high number of Title defenses and I would have thought you would rate Cuevas quite highly.
                  I am pretty sure you could go down any poster's list of greatest fighters and you'll find guys who had a bunch of title defense. It isn't a coincidence most of the greatest fighters ever had long reigns.

Their are guys I have ranked high relative to the rest of Boxing Scene like Sumbu Kalambay who didn't have a great deal of title defenses and guys like Hagler who I rate low relative to the rest of boxing scene who had a great deal of title defenses

Comment

but in all honestly, titles dont mean so much anymore. I'd throw Duran in their and Pacquiao. They didn't have a lot of fights at the weight, but it's clear they were monsters during that time and weight class.

Pacquiao smashed Cotto, Clottey and Margarito, the little weight discrepancies shouldnt change things. Pacquiao was 148 lbs when he merked Marg. 149 when he beat Cotto, and 149 when he beat Clottey. 147 when he Beat DLH.

The Duran that beat SRL was in peak physical shape. He looked like the LW Duran. Pit him up against anyone at WW it's hard to see him lose.

Comment

Perhaps.

Can't think of a fighter head and sholders above that could be 3rd for that decade. There were good fighters but none that stood out from the rest. After the Top 2.

add tony demarco to men in that tier at WW in the 50's as well

good looking list for each decade

Comment

Working...
                      X