Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Objectively, which of Pac's catchweights were unfair?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Objectively, which of Pac's catchweights were unfair?

De La Hoya - Pac jumped 2 weight classes for this fight. First time fighting at welter, coming off a lightweight fight. ODLH was the A side, he called the shots, so this was all on him. No issues with this one.

Cotto - Fighting for Cotto's welterweight title. Since Cotto weighed in the previous fight at 146, only 1 lb less at a 145 lb catchweight was supposedly fair. But if it's only 1 lb, why not just fight at the welterweight limit?

Margarito - Tony was a career welterweight. Plus, Pac didn't even come close to making the super welter limit. No issue with this one.

Marquez 3 - The catchweight was basically their real weights without having to cut weight and rehydrate. Pac is not a full fledged welter, more like a filled out junior welter who doesn't feel like cutting weight. He's the A side, so he can call the shots on the weight. No issue with this one.

So the only one I have issue with is the Cotto fight. Cotto had a history of trouble making weight for 147 as it is, plus Cotto was the champion. The others are no big deal for the reasons stated above.

cotto had a history of having trouble making 147?

link?

Comment

Cotto for sure, Cotto was the champion.

Comment

The issue I would have is that because catchweights were necessary to make them, they were cheapened as fights.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing is alive View Post
          De La Hoya - Pac jumped 2 weight classes for this fight. First time fighting at welter, coming off a lightweight fight. ODLH was the A side, he called the shots, so this was all on him. No issues with this one.

Cotto - Fighting for Cotto's welterweight title. Since Cotto weighed in the previous fight at 146, only 1 lb less at a 145 lb catchweight was supposedly fair. But if it's only 1 lb, why not just fight at the welterweight limit?

Margarito - Tony was a career welterweight. Plus, Pac didn't even come close to making the super welter limit. No issue with this one.

Marquez 3 - The catchweight was basically their real weights without having to cut weight and rehydrate. Pac is not a full fledged welter, more like a filled out junior welter who doesn't feel like cutting weight. He's the A side, so he can call the shots on the weight. No issue with this one.

So the only one I have issue with is the Cotto fight. Cotto had a history of trouble making weight for 147 as it is, plus Cotto was the champion. The others are no big deal for the reasons stated above.
          objectively only the DLH fight was unfair. I thought Pac would have lost to DLH in his prime or at the proper weight. I feel most fans without bias feel the same way. All the others would have fallen regardless of what weight they would have fought Pacquiao. I think saying that Pac has beaten weight drained fighters is a really the bias opinion of haters.

Comment

none of them were unfair, they were just stupid
            and Oscar wasn't a catchweight, he demanded Pac come to 147

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
              The issue I would have is that because catchweights were necessary to make them, they were cheapened as fights.
              they were already cheapened by the actual matchup. DLH wanted to make money off Pacquiao and vice versa. Margarito was a joke opponent for a paper title, didnt matter if it was at 154 or 150, neither man could be considered a legitimate champion at that weight class.

The Marquez catchweight is a non-issue, unless your a super Pac hater.

The reason why people criticize Pac for catchweights is only because of the Cotto fight and many butthurt Ricans.

Comment

Oscar couldn't make 147, he was a shell.

Cotto killed himself to make the weight, but the real issue he had was having no real trainer and coming off two brutal fights.

Marquez didn't really belong above 135, but he did very well. Going up is certainly easier than killing yourself to come down like Oscar and Cotto.

Comment

its not so much that they were unfair, its just wrong. there are enough divisions as it is without pacquiao making up more divisions to suit him. if you want to fight the bigger guys, fight them at the weight they fight at. simple as that.

Comment

Morales was also coming down in weight in their rematch.
                    I have no problem with the Cotto, Margarito and Marquez fight.
                    But Oscar should never have accept that fight, super-welterweight was too big at the time for Pacquiao and welterweight too small for DLH. For me it's not a really significant victory for the Pacman.

Comment

Working...
                    X