No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez overrated P4P?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez overrated P4P?

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he is a very good fighter, but has he done enough to be placed at number 2 pound for pound by The Ring?

Good win over a Pavlik who was on his way down, fantastic one punch KO of Williams. Nothing else outstanding I don't think. Not trying to troll or be a hater, I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me why he's rated so highly.

Thanks

Dzinziruk win was impressive. I think he's the correct choice for 2. I can see having him at 3, though.

Comment

I agree. He got the spot because Williams was so high, but I would put Marquez and Floyd above him.

Comment

I was thinking about this yesterday...I sorta came to the conclusion that we can't use a poor showing by Paul Williams as a reason to say Sergio is overrated...he deserves his spot because really nobody else belongs there (you could argue Floyd, but he doesn't even care about P4P rankings)

Comment

Him stopping Dzinziruk sold me on him being #1, I mean he already iced Williams and was the first to school Pavelik at middleweight (Bernard picked on a smaller man) ...Mayweather and Pacquaios wins arent that impressive P4P wise...

Comment

Sergio is a good fighter but his name blew up way too much after the Williams KO

Quintana beat Williams, and depending on who you ask, Sergio himself had already beaten Williams. Most recently he won (lost) to Lara

Williams being massively overrated resulted in Sergio being catapulted too quickly from the periphery to taking William's p4p spot - because Williams should have never had a p4p spot in the first place.

but on the other hand, should you drop sergio in the p4p ranks because williams turned out to be a hypejob? he's just kind of stayed there until someone obvious pushes him lower, and nobody has done that

Comment

I think this is quite a valid discussion.

I'd definitely not rank him under top 3. I think he is a very good athlete, but unfortunatly the division he is in, right now, is lacking a defining proven champion. I believe that the second round KO of PW is something that definitely should be rated as a top notch win, but there's no doubt in my mind that PW was at one time the most overrated boxer on the P4P list, which definitely have been confirmed in his last 3 fights.

To sum up I think there's valid arguments for putting him P4P 3, and that is not based on his resume, because there are definitely some guys out there with better resumes: Carl Froch, Bernard Hopkins, Juan Manuel Marquez, Andre Ward and Miguel Cotto. But as I said, I think it's valid to put him on P4P 3.

But for me there's no freakin' doubt on who should be on 1 and 2. Pacquaio at 1st and Mayweather at 2nd.

Comment

Steroidgio Martinez beat a drunk drugged out Kelly Pavlik n then beat Paul Williams who obviously sucks-- and the internet sergiosexuals have declared him P4P KING???

can you imagine the epic ****storm that would befall floyd mayweather or manny pacquiao if they were fighting someone like Barker the Goat Farmer??

Comment

When I look at the other top 10 p4p fighters, I don't really see anyone THAT much better than Martinez. I wouldn't be bothered if Hopkins and JMM were higher than him though.

It's not just about the resume. He just simply looks more talented and skillfull than other p4p fighters, which is what gives him the edge over them.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    I agree. He got the spot because Williams was so high, but I would put Marquez and Floyd above him.
                    i would definitely put Marquez ahead of Martinez. I would have Mayweather behind Martinez only because of his inactivity.

Comment

Working...
                    X