Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's Ice Man John scully at???? You got some 'splaining to do....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Ice Man John scully at???? You got some 'splaining to do....

According to Dan Raphael's Blog regarding the Cancellation of the Cunningham/Godfrey fight:

Main Events worked so quickly that the Godfrey side received a new bout agreement on Friday afternoon, not even 48 hours after the fight was thought to be off.

Everything appeared to be set on Friday and the fight was promoted twice on last week's edition of "Friday Night Fights."

Then came the hammer Saturday, when Godfrey's trainer, John Scully, who I have known for many years -- since before I covered boxing -- told me that despite the announcements on the air the previous night, there was no fight. It was news to me and it sure was news to Main Events and Loughrey when I passed along the heads up.

According to Scully, with whom I traded a ton of e-mails over the weekend, Godfrey had lost two days (which later became three days when Scully changed the story) of training when they thought the fight was off. Supposedly, Burchfield had failed to let Godfrey know that plans were in the works to keep the fight on Friday. Scully said the "mental and emotional letdown" was too much for Godfrey to go through with the fight, even though it would take place a week later on its originally scheduled date.

What a lame excuse, especially when the fight was put back together so quickly -- even if he had missed a couple of days of training.

*bump***********

Comment

Working...
    X