No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn Says Draw Proved Bellew Not Ready For Dawson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hearn Says Draw Proved Bellew Not Ready For Dawson

TONY Bellew’s world title dreams have been put on hold after failing to beat Isaac Chilemba in a final title eliminator.

Bellew knew that victory at the Echo Arena in Liverpool would put him in a position to take on WBC light-heavyweight champion Chad Dawson.

But the 30-year-old Scouser failed to hammer home the advantage he had gained in the early rounds and had to settle for a draw against his rugged opponent from Malawi.

Even Bellew’s usually optimistic promoter Eddie Hearn admitted: “On that performance, maybe he is not ready for a Chad Dawson, so maybe it’s a blessing in disguise.

“Maybe he needs to build again, learn more and come back better because I don’t think on that performance he may have been able to deal with Dawson.”

The result is a bitter blow for Bellew whose only defeat came at the hands of Nathan Cleverly in a bid to relieve the Welshman of his WBO title in 2011. Bellew was bitterly disappointed with the draw after one judge scored it 116-112 for Chilemba, another 116-115 for Bellew and the third had it level at 114-114.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Good to see a promoter being honest/realistic about one of his boxers.

Never seemed Chilemba before, but he looked awkard and hard to look good against. That's no excuse though because against guys like that you should still be winning the rounds even if you look bad, and Bellew didn't enough of the rounds, especially in the second half of the fight.

Comment

Pretty honest stuff from Hearn. Personally, I don't think Bellew will ever have the tools to take on Dawson, he's just not on that level.

Comment

Originally posted by TGD View Post
        Pretty honest stuff from Hearn. Personally, I don't think Bellew will ever have the tools to take on Dawson, he's just not on that level.
        Agreed. He's just Brit/Euro level. I'm surprised at Hearns honesty.

Comment

Great!!! That means were gonna have watch bellew fight more nobobies an bums!!!

All the champions why would you go after dawson??
          He might aswell move upto cruiserweight an use weight as a excuse.

Comment

Hearns said after the fight he fought Bellew won by one round.... At least he's being honest about it. Defo not ready for Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
              Agreed. He's just Brit/Euro level. I'm surprised at Hearns honesty.
              Think I agree with this, Bellew will always be one of those 'nearly world class' fighters.

Comment

Stupid ass Euro judges.

116-115? Seriously? This guy scored 3 10-10 rounds in a title eliminator fight?

I would like to know how the BBC selected judges for this because if you look at this judges record he has scored 2 or 3 10-10 rounds in every major fight he has done.

The guy has scored at least 2 10-10 rounds in the last 5 fights he did that went the distance including 119-111 cards in Klitschko/Chisora and Agbekpo/Melendez.

You wonder how bad decisions happen in Europe? Well it happens when idiots like the guys at the BBc review the history of this judge and in spite of all the evidence to the contrary deem him fit to judge a fight with major implications.

Comment

He was very honest after the fight too which was cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    He was very honest after the fight too which was cool.
                    His fighter will probably leave him as a result.

Comment

Working...
                    X