Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hagler-Leonard: how could anyone see Hagler winning?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagler-Leonard: how could anyone see Hagler winning?

I am sure there have been many threads on this classic fight discussing who really won and what not, but I think it's clear as day that Leonard won the fight. I've never scored it closer than 116-112 Leonard. To me, Leonard easily won 5 of the first 6. I also gave him 3 or 4 of the last 6. This is not meant to piss off Hagler fans, but I'm curious as to how anyone could see that fight in Hagler's favor.

I could see rounds 5, 9 and 10 going to Marvelous, and even some of them are close rounds. Beyond that, I'm sorry, but what did Hagler do to impress anyone? Even in the rounds where Ray "ran," he was more effective than Hagler.

Do me a favor. Vote in the poll and give your scorecard if you have it on hand. We're boxing fans, so we should have every "controversial" card scored and saved somewhere. It's hard to argue if you don't really.

Again, not trolling, disrespecting or anything of the sort. Just curious.
    Ray Leonard
    65.22%
    Marvin Hagler
    30.43%
    Draw
    4.35%

Round 1 - 10-9 SRL

Round 2 - 10-9 SRL

Round 3 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 4 - 10-9 SRL

Round 5 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 6 -10-9 SRL

Round 7 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 8 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 9 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 10 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 11 - 9-10 HAGLER

Round 12 - 9-10 HAGLER

TOTAL 116-112 - HAGLER

Seems wider looking at it on paper than it felt, there were a few close rounds in there that could have gone to Ray but i liked Marvins pressure, harder shots and his workrate over Leonards Flashy bursts

1 & 2 were Sugar Ray rounds, in the third Hagler went to his natural stance of southpaw and i thought he done enough. The 4th was Sugars, the 5th was a very close round that could have went either way but i went for Hagler, the 6th Ray did enough too take with his elusiveness and flashy combo's. 7 was Haglers, The 8th was clearly Marvin rd, round 9 was a great round which i gave to Hagler but Ray made close with a big Flurry near the end, 10 to Hagler, 11 was a close one but i felt while SRL was showboating and moving he wasnt scoring effective shots or at least not enough, and the 12 round Sugar Ray showboated without doing too much other than one great flurry mid round, Hagler sealed it with a big left and a couple of follow up shots at the very end

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I guess one point I really have to disagree on is round 11. I thought Leonard won that round very convincingly. In the 12th, yes, Hagler was pressing the whole time, and Leonard appeared to be "running" for quite a bit of it, but I still thought Leonard's shots were the ones that counted. No, he wasn't busting Hagler up or anything, but he was making his count.

I guess this is just one of those fights that people see very different ways.

Another one is Hagler-Duran. I don't see how anyone thought that fight was even remotely close. I don't have my card on me right now, but I don't remember giving Duran more than 2 or 3 rounds all fight, yet some people are convinced Duran won.
      Last edited by DiegoFuego; 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Just checked. I gave Duran rounds 2, 12 and 13. Some of the rounds were competitive, but Duran didn't do anything to impress me in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
          Just checked. I gave Duran rounds 2, 12 and 13. Some of the rounds were competitive, but Duran didn't do anything to impress me in that fight.
          you gave Duran the 13th? Maybe so, because all I've watched is the first 12! I've watched the first twelve many times and I believe Leonard won 115-114, but I really wanna see the 13th!

Comment

he's on about hagler duran.

i agree, i had hagler up 7 points in that fight.

i'm not going to comment on leonard vs hagler because i'll just get angry.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
              Dont have a card for that but i had Hagler up, Duran gave a good account of himself but in no way did he win!

Comment

Originally posted by TartanSoldier View Post
                he's on about hagler duran.

i agree, i had hagler up 7 points in that fight.

i'm not going to comment on leonard vs hagler because i'll just get angry.
                Do it!

I had Leonard winning. But last time i tried scoring it, looking at every single punch thrown, Hagler did land way more body shots than i previously thought.

Comment

I've watched Leonard vs Hagler dozens of times and scored it at least ten times. The worst I have it for Leonard is 115:113......and I felt that was being as generous as possible to Hagler.

Leonard deserved the victory, and I bet the poll will end up favouring Leonard overall despite Hagler's greater popularity on this forum.

Hagler's fans are very very loyal though. Lets face it, he was a fighter's fighter. But if I wanted to introduce a newcomer to the sport and show them the Marvellous one in action, there isn't a round of the Leonard fight that I'd choose to show them.......Hagler looked old and slow, with poor reactions. He wasn't anything like as good as he was when he beat Hearns two years previous.

Comment

Hagler was very, very stupid in this fight for starting off orthodox in order to condescend to Leonard. Doing such a thing in a bout that wasn't 15 rounds was madness.

Comment

Working...
                    X