Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Mercito Gesta Sparring Hard For Vazquez Jr.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Mercito Gesta Sparring Hard For Vazquez Jr.

Mandaue City, Philippines native Mercito "No Mercy" Gesta is looking to leave no room for error heading into his Dec. 8 challenge of IBF lightweight champion Miguel Vazquez.

Having ventured from his adopted hometown of San Diego, California, Gesta currently finds himself in the mountains of Big Bear, as he has staged his latest camp out of Abel Sanchez’s Summit Gym.

On Monday afternoon, Gesta could be found sparring eleven rounds, going two with his younger brother Anecito “Mockz” Gesta Jr., seven with talented junior lightweight prospect Joel Diaz Jr. (11-0, 10 KO’s), and two with former national amateur champion Aaron Garcia (10-3-2, 2 KO’s).

It was the work with Diaz that stood out the most for the 25-year old Gesta, as the two took turns picking their spots and landing cracking shots on one another. While neither man ever truly buckled, it was easy to spot just how crisp and thudding their blows were.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I wonder if he's learned that going to the body is not illegal and is totally advisable in boxing.

He didn't even attempt to throw a single punch below the neckline in his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by cawadoody View Post
      I wonder if he's learned that going to the body is not illegal and is totally advisable in boxing.

He didn't even attempt to throw a single punch below the neckline in his last fight.
      well he didn't really need to :/ ...but against cuero he was attacking the body.

Comment

he should definitely go to the body against vasquez. miguel doesnt like it...he spoils, holds, leans on in close.

im actually thinking gesta hurts him with a body shot.

Comment

i hope they're preparing for vazquez's style. only name out of those 3 sparring partners i recognize is joel diaz jr. the kid doesn't resemble vazquez in anyway. i bet him and gesta get some good quality rounds in though, diaz had a very exciting fight with guy robb on showtime.
          as for this matchup, i think vazquez is going to get a decision, but gesta's got a chance to make it a serious fight. we'll see what happens come fight night. i'm actually looking forward to this entire card, main event included (pacquiao/marquez IV).
          Last edited by chiguy91; 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cawadoody View Post

The fight before his last he was doing superb body work. Not sure why he abandoned it his last fight. Would've made that fight much easier.

Comment

Gesta has a good chance to win this, but Vazquez isn't giving it away. If Gesta tries waiting and counterpunching, he'll lose a stinker and probably any other title shots. I'm not saying he can't get lucky and land a big counter, I'm saying, sooner or later, he'll have to run Vazquez down even if he hurts him. Gesta's punch output has been low, to date, but he's undefeated, so he may not feel the need to change. The problem with that is, he's only fought C class fighters and he's moving up in competition this time. Vazquez is not a beast, he's a slickster, and this is where Gesta has a shot. I don't think Vazquez can hurt him or hold him off if Gesta gets mean.

Comment

I got Mercito by KO in this one. I think he'll chase Vazquez for a while and eventually catch him in the 8th or 9th.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                  I got Mercito by KO in this one. I think he'll chase Vazquez for a while and eventually catch him in the 8th or 9th.
                  So he is gonna do what Canelo and Bradley couldn´t do at welterweight?,

I think Gesta is gonna try to do what Quintero did but he is gonna fail miserably and after a few rounds he will go back to his style, and then he will get picked apart because I think his style isn´t effective against a dude like Títere.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantomas View Post
                    So he is gonna do what Canelo and Bradley couldn´t do at welterweight?,

I think Gesta is gonna try to do what Quintero did but he is gonna fail miserably and after a few rounds he will go back to his style, and then he will get picked apart because I think his style isn´t effective against a dude like Títere.
                    Gesta is a very active pressure fighter who loves to chase. And he does not stop chasing. He also carries some real power behind some of his shots. Vazquez was getting hit more than we are used to seeing in that last fight. We will just have to wait and see, but I'm sticking with my prediction.

Comment

Working...
                    X