Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice: I have been offered a job in Ciadad Juarez, what should I do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: I have been offered a job in Ciadad Juarez, what should I do?

I applied on a whim to AUCJ as a visiting scholar for the spring. I received an offer which is very tempting [3000 USD month, free housing and insurance] but I know that city is famed for being dangerous.

I have dedicated myself to research and academe, 3000 is good in a developing country for a single guy with no rent. However, the security situation is bad is over 3000 homicides there is 2010 and an average of 8 murders a day.

The plus side would be the chance to live and work in Mexico, to travel the US with ease and hopefully score some strange.

As my e-homies, what advice?

Find and rent a bodyguard for $500 a month.

Place sounds rough. Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
      I applied on a whim to AUCJ as a visiting scholar for the spring. I received an offer which is very tempting [3000 USD month, free housing and insurance] but I know that city is famed for being dangerous.

I have dedicated myself to research and academe, 3000 is good in a developing country for a single guy with no rent. However, the security situation is bad is over 3000 homicides there is 2010 and an average of 8 murders a day.

The plus side would be the chance to live and work in Mexico, to travel the US with ease and hopefully score some strange.

As my e-homies, what advice?
      What else can you say but good luck I have no idea what to expect from your time there my nephew in active Military stationed in El Paso TX and tells me once a week its a war zone over there take the info for what its worth I guess keep us posted how it goes and what you choose to do.

Comment

You serious? Free insurance and housing? I'd be all in, that's $3000 in the bank outside of taxes per month. Do it up dude, just keep your head on a swivel and you'll be fine.

Comment

We all know that you have formal education but for what you are asking you need a master's in street smarts...ask yourself if you are truly street smart and malicious and whatever answer you come up with is the answer that you should give the employer

Comment

I have no street smarts. I am born/raised in Oxford. The safest, nicest city in the world. I have never had a fight, never been in trouble. I am a clean cut, middle class research student who likes coffee shops, boxing and ****o.

Its a balance between adventure and coming back alive.

Comment

You should do it
              take the job, pick your nose and chew it

Comment

^

Gross.

Anyone been there recently?

Comment

you are asking to get kidnapped. get yourself an American security guard. Like Denzel Washington in that movie....

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
                    I have no street smarts. I am born/raised in Oxford. The safest, nicest city in the world. I have never had a fight, never been in trouble. I am a clean cut, middle class research student who likes coffee shops, boxing and ****o.

Its a balance between adventure and coming back alive.
                    Get a bodyguard. I'm no Mexican, but even I know Ciudad Juarez is arguably the most dangerous city on the planet.

What will you be doing?

Comment

Working...
                    X