No announcement yet.

Where Does Mike Tyson Rank As An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    I can name at least 20 fighters off the top of my head who had more meteoric rises than Tyson, and Louis is one of them.

Quick Tillis came very, very close to beating, or at least drawing with Tyson. Some ringside observers thought Tillis had gotten jobbed. Pinklon Thomas, had he been able to survive another round or two, could have jabbed his way to a decision. Tony Tucker was doing extremely well, but his broken hand cost him down the stretch.

None of these guys are half as good as a prime Joe Louis, and all of them gave Tyson issues.
    Sweet holy **** are you for real or just that crazy??? ..... And please name your 'at least 20 fighters off the top of my head' that had more meteoric rises than becoming the youngest heavyweight champion of all time after just over a year and a half as a pro. Dude your anti Tyson bias is wild ... you related to Desiree Washington or something??

Comment

• Tyson was like vince carter to me exciting style and showed promise early but did not prolong his peak performance and was beaten by quality opposition. This is not to say he should not rate in an atg list but I would would have him at about 80th at best p4p.

Comment

I can name at least 20 fighters off the top of my head who had more meteoric rises than Tyson, and Louis is one of them.

Quick Tillis came very, very close to beating, or at least drawing with Tyson. Some ringside observers thought Tillis had gotten jobbed. Pinklon Thomas, had he been able to survive another round or two, could have jabbed his way to a decision. Tony Tucker was doing extremely well, but his broken hand cost him down the stretch.

None of these guys are half as good as a prime Joe Louis, and all of them gave Tyson issues.
        can u pleeeease name those 20 fighters

Comment

• A Fading Ali, talk about dumb comments, Ali really had 2 Careers, early with greater speed, less size, 2nd career, bigger, still the fastest HW, more power than earlier in career & much smarter, he beat Frazier & Foreman in what you call fading time for him, & he beat every challenger during that time, you have to base Tyson on what he accomplished, not on what could have been, how many could have beens are there, so he has to be top 10 HW for sure, Foreman in his Prime surely KO's Tyson, people say he faded at a young age & lost, I say he was beaten on that night by better fighters, he got behind, couldnt handle it in those fights & lost, he never fought anyone earlier in his career to get ahead of him in a fight, as soon as he did, Tyson fans cry foul, he was fading, LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
            Typical moronic replies

Tyson is easily a top 10 HW and top 3 H2H HW

HW should rank higher overall on these lists than the lower weight classes, which matter far less.

This is beyond stupid. Tyson was the youngest heavyweight champion ever to this day and was the first in nearly a decade to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. His skills and ability were unmatched and he effectively cleaned out the division at the age of 21 after beating Spinks, the only guy left to fight. Within 3 years he became the biggest name in boxing. He's the only heavyweight to ever come out of incarceration for 4 years and win two titles.

Nothing that he's done has ever been close to being accomplished again. No one has ever ripped through the heavyweight division over night and captured its biggest prize the way Mike Tyson did.

Louis lost to past prime Schmeling and had an awful chin with had no footwork at all. He was clearly out boxed by the likes of Walcott and Charles and even the morbidly obese Tony Galento had his shinning moments against Louis. His resume is stacked full of bums that would even give him trouble from time to time.

His best trait or skill was combination punching, a category that Tyson was superior in.

Walcott has a record full of losses and Foreman was stopped in his prime by a fading Ali. Foreman had limited skills and threw wide, looping shots.

Besides Ali no one was as big of a name or a global sensation like Tyson was.
            B-Hop served 5.

Louis is literally the worst match up possible for Tyson.

edit- thread was hella necro'd.

Comment

• Tyson ATG? Ofcourse he is!

Boxing just is'nt the same without him, and misses him in the same way as it does Ali,Frazier and Dempsey.. I mention Dempsey because a prime Tyson was almost identical to a well oiled version of him.. Watching Mike on the box during the 80's, is something that lives with you forever.. Transmition to the uk was'nt good, but you could actually hear the thunder in his punches.. There had'nt been anyone like him in donkeys years.. The 70's and early 80's had seen Ali and Holmes jabbing everyone to death, but this kid was oh so different, and set about the heavyweight division like they'd gang raped his mother.. In order to eclipse his achievments today, would equate to a 20yr old fighter wiping out both Klitschko's and Povetkin on a wet weekend.. Anyone who clears out their division is an atg imo, and Tyson was the youngest man to do so.

Comment

• I have him #8 on my H2H HW's

Comment

Do the world a favour and throw your computer out the window.

Comment

• Tyson is top 10 in my list of heavyweights, maybe 11,12 or 13, but definitely top 15. P4P, I would at least have him in the top 50 and I'll try to defend my opinion here:

Tyson beat a lot of really good fighters in the 80's and 90's which people seem to ignore...probably people who don't know wtf they're talking about, who end up being a majority of these "Tyson Haters."

His most impressive victories, in INCREDIBLY IMPRESSIVE FASHION (which gets you a lot of points when it comes to ranking how great you were) were in my opinion:

Razor Ruddock (twice)
                    Tony Tucker
                    Michael SPinks
                    Pinkleton Thomas
                    Trevor Berbick
                    Tony Tubbs
                    Frank Bruno (twice)
                    Carl Williams

And keep in mind this was a KID in his teens and early 20's destroying everyone in the heavyweight division. It amazes me that people don't give him the credit he deserves for this fact.

Tyson was incredible, we may never see another one (in terms of all the positive, his ranking as a fighter has nothing to do with his personal issues outside of the ring). Just the fact that we are ally DYING and PRAYING for another Tyson just shows you how awesome this guy was.
                    Last edited by embryo; 09-14-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                      Tyson was like vince carter to me exciting style and showed promise early but did not prolong his peak performance and was beaten by quality opposition. This is not to say he should not rate in an atg list but I would would have him at about 80th at best p4p.
                      Vince carter never took his team to a title.... Mike was undisputed lineal champ and had beaten all comers by the age of 23...

tyson>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>vince

Comment

Working...
                      X