Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlas Foundation Acts to Restore Boxer's(My great-grandfather's) dignity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the memorial service will be July 22nd which is Friday at 11 AM.. Phil Amicone, the mayor of Yonkers, will be there. Along with Representativs from the eddy Atlas Foundation and Ring 8. I will be there along with the Hogan family as well

Comment

Originally posted by JoHnNyBoXeR View Post
      the memorial service will be July 22nd which is Friday at 11 AM.. Phil Amicone, the mayor of Yonkers, will be there. Along with Representativs from the eddy Atlas Foundation and Ring 8. I will be there along with the Hogan family as well

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Congratulations!! Make sure to give special thanks to Henry Hascup who is part of Ring 8 and a great contributor to both here and ESB.
        Thanks, Jab !

Last summer, I was contacted by the Teddy Atlas Foundation and Keith Sullivan. They asked me about Shamus O'Brien, who had over 100 pro biuts from 1911 to 1928.

Here's what I put up in July of 2010 on the Ring 8 web site:

Regarding boxer Shamus O’Brian. Ring 8 and the Teddy Atlas Foundation are working together to correct this situation. We were told about a call from the grandson of an old time fighter named Shamus O’Brien (1910s-1920s) from Yonkers New York who fought all the greats: Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker, Rocky Kansas, KO Chaney, etc. Shamus Obrien (real name Michael Hogan) was buried with no headstone in the Yonkers cemetery. He was a great favorite in Yonkers and had well over 100 fights. We are in the process of verifying the information, and then we will work together to honor this boxer in a proper manor.

I then dug up all the information I could find on him and gave it to both the Teddy Atlas Foundation and Ring 8 and they proceeded to go along with the project. I also talked about him at several of Ring 8 meetings. Keith even asked me what should they put on the Tombstone. I gave them several ideas and they settled on one of them.

I was only too glad to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
          Thanks, Jab !

Last summer, I was contacted by the Teddy Atlas Foundation and Keith Sullivan. They asked me about Shamus O'Brien, who had over 100 pro biuts from 1911 to 1928.

Here's what I put up in July of 2010 on the Ring 8 web site:

Regarding boxer Shamus O’Brian. Ring 8 and the Teddy Atlas Foundation are working together to correct this situation. We were told about a call from the grandson of an old time fighter named Shamus O’Brien (1910s-1920s) from Yonkers New York who fought all the greats: Benny Leonard, Mickey Walker, Rocky Kansas, KO Chaney, etc. Shamus Obrien (real name Michael Hogan) was buried with no headstone in the Yonkers cemetery. He was a great favorite in Yonkers and had well over 100 fights. We are in the process of verifying the information, and then we will work together to honor this boxer in a proper manor.

I then dug up all the information I could find on him and gave it to both the Teddy Atlas Foundation and Ring 8 and they proceeded to go along with the project. I also talked about him at several of Ring 8 meetings. Keith even asked me what should they put on the Tombstone. I gave them several ideas and they settled on one of them.

I was only too glad to help out.

You're welcome sir. Your knowledge and posts are greatly respected. Only wish you had more time for the forums, but we know you have a full plate

Comment

Here's the actual E-Mail that Keith Sullivan sent me.

Henry,

Hope all is well.

The Dr. Atlas Foundation is going to assist with this request for a headstone at the grave site of former boxer Shamus O'brien. Teddy Atlas asked if Ring-8 would also be interested in assisting.

Before anything gets done on our end or a request of RIng-8, I was wondering if you could confirm the information on Shamus O'Brien that is attached?

Thanks, Keith Sullivan

Here's my response:

I can't find any records that he actually fought in bare-knuckle fights, as the time he was fighting, bare-knuckle bouts were outlawed. Also, it says that he had 440 bouts, I think that is a stretch as well, but most of the other material is true. I know he fought Benny Leonard at least twice, Johnny Dundee, Rocky Kansas, he has 2 Newspaper wins against Mickey Walker, and they are all in the International Boxing Hall of Fame. He also beat George KO Chaney. So he did fight some of the top fighters in his era and it looks like he gave them a pretty good battle.

He also fought during the "No-Decision era," where a newspaper would give their decision. The only thing wrong about that is that if a home town boy is fighting, the paper would lean toward him. Sometimes you would have 2 or more newspapers covering the fight and if one was from Yonkers and the other was from the Bronx, the one newspaper would go with the one and the other would go with the other.

He had approx. 100 fights that is recorded, and I would have to say that there many more that weren't, but I don't know about 440. The cost is only $2,500, so between Teddy Atlas's group, Ring 8 and a couple of others, we should be able to raise the money.

I up-dated this on BoxRec:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...1874&cat=boxer

Thanks, Henry Hascup

After this, Ring 8 and the Teddy Atlas foundation started working on this project together.

Comment

Working...
            X