Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside of Donaire, Hasegawa might have the best single punch in boxing today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside of Donaire, Hasegawa might have the best single punch in boxing today

Once Hozumi Hasegawa has touched his opponent enough with that left hand to have them step into the trap, that right hook over the top is DEADLY.

It has an angle I've never seen consciously used, which makes it almost impossible to see when his opponent is stepping in, and allows him to duck under any stray right hands should he miss.

When I saw he knocked out his last opponent, I knew exactly what punch it was. I say best single punch because it makes a very light-hitter into a knockout artist in an instant.

I would rate Donaire's left hook better only because it doesn't need a trap or a chin. He's been bouncing it off people's temples with devastating effect.

Hasegawa can't take what he can give though
    he's been smoked twice in the early rds
    he has skill and power, but his chin is soft

Comment

My boy's chin ain't soft. He broke his jaw in the 1st round of the Montiel fight and continued on for as long as he did. That ain't a soft chin.

If I remember correctly though, didn't he get put down with a body shot in his latest loss? I don't recall clearly, I hate watching it.

Glad to see someone givin props to my boy. I love Hasegawa and that left straight, right hook combo is fierce! He puts down everyone that it connects with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
        Hasegawa can't take what he can give though
        he's been smoked twice in the early rds
        he has skill and power, but his chin is soft
        Skill and speed. Outside of that right hook, the rest of his game is pure boxing with a little sting on his left hand.

After the two fourth round knockouts, it's definitely understandable to question his chin BUT Fernando Montiel (47wins - 37kos) and Jhonny Gonzalez (51wins - 45kos) aren't what I would call "decent" punchers.

If they get you hurt then its a good chance that they are getting you out of there. Montiel actually broke his jaw.

Comment

Without a doubt Hasegawa's counter right hook is extremely lethal, he sets it up perfectly. The thing is he doesn't lead so well with it but he knows how to set it up, he extends his left hand, leaves it out there until he gets a reaction from his opponent, then he puts his whole body weight behind it as soon as they react.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
            Without a doubt Hasegawa's counter right hook is extremely lethal, he sets it up perfectly. The thing is he doesn't lead so well with it but he knows how to set it up, he extends his left hand, leaves it out there until he gets a reaction from his opponent, then he puts his whole body weight behind it as soon as they react.
            That's that trap!

Rigondeaux has a similar trap but his is nowhere near as subtle as Hasegawa's. He actually extends his left hand and leaves it out there. Add to that the fact that Rigondeaux's control of distance is so good that it's painfully obvious he's inviting you in and you have a devastating punch that doesn't get setup properly to be used.

Comment

No way. Bute's left hand is the best punch in boxing.

Comment

Hasegawa's right hook is solid... It has been one of the best punches in boxing. Personally, I prefer Bute and Rigondeaux's counter left uppercuts to the body, Montiel's lead left hook, Mayweather's lead right cross, Kirkland's lead left cross to the body, and Donaire's counter left hook.

Comment

Lopez used to do something very similar. Great shot indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotime View Post
                    No way. Bute's left hand is the best punch in boxing.
                    His left hand is a punch?

Comment

Working...
                    X