No announcement yet.

Ronnie Shields' take on Lara's Chances Against Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie Shields' take on Lara's Chances Against Mayweather

I was just thinking of this fight the other day. On paper, it's certainly not a fight one would consider forking over $60+ to watch.

But, I really believe Lara, skills wise, has P4P potential. It's just getting the opportunity to prove it is where I think he will have a problem.

I think his style could give Floyd some trouble in the ring, and I think he could do enough to deserve to win a decision. Lara doesn't do one thing spectacular, but he does a lot of things very well; plus his size and southpaw stance certainly work to his advantage as well.

The way Floyd's style has evolved doesn't suit him well in this matchup, I think he would need to use his feet a bit more than he has lately.

The below text was taken from the artcle here...

http://www.e@stsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32666&more=1

CIANI: Just to get your perspective on where Lara is right now, if he was to get an unlikely opportunity against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior, what would you think of his chances?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I would think his chances are like 70-30, with 70 being for him and 30 being for Floyd just for the simple reason that look. Floyd is a great fighter, but Floyd is a great fighter fighting guys like a Miguel Cotto, who’s past his prime, and like a too small guy like Marquez who he beat. Now look, Floyd is a good fighter but this is a different competition with Erislandy Lara. We’re talking about a bigger guy who’s just a natural 154 pounder. There is no way in the world in my heart I know that Floyd can beat a guy like Erislandy Lara, just for the simple reason that Lara is so much smarter than everybody Floyd has ever fought in his career. When you have that, and plus he’s a bigger guy and a stronger guy, I don’t see how Floyd would be able to keep him off of him.

I agree 100%

Comment

Due to styles, size, and Mayweather's age, I think Lara is very dangerous for him. Not 70-30 Lara, Mayweather is too hard to outbox to be an underdog in this fight, but I'd say 60-40 Mayweather. I'd expect Mayweather to win 8 rounds, and not be surprised at all if he lost.

Comment

Very intriguing fight down the road. All depends on how Lara progresses and how long Floyd keeps fighting.

Comment

Based of his last fight Hell no. Nevermind his list against Molina.

Comment

I don't see Lara beating Floyd. I just don't see it.

Lara isn't a pressure fighter and he won't beat Floyd in a boxing match/thinking game.
            Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 07-09-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Lara is nice but he gets hit a lot for a intelligent fighter. If Floyd can hit you he will beat you

Comment

Lara is not a pressure fighter but we saw him being the aggressor vs Hernandez as well as staying in the pocket a few times.

Ronnie Shields is not the only one who feels Lara would beat Floyd. I believe Cliff favors Lara over Floyd too.

Comment

Too bad floyd has never been about fighting tough opponents. He has cherry picked his way into the hearts of his fans.

Comment

Originally posted by spyvsspy View Post
                    Too bad floyd has never been about fighting tough opponents. He has cherry picked his way into the hearts of his fans.

This is true. All due to the business of boxing. I call it cherrypicking sucker fans call it good business decisions.

Comment

Working...
                    X