No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather Rating: High For Boxing, Low For Network TV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cowardsinboxing View Post
    Apparently, CBS has not seen the worst on Mayweather, yet!
    So thats why they gave him the richest contract in the history of boxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrjoeblive View Post
      While floyd plays a heel to sell tickets he does a lot of work for charity that he does not talk about. And when you make the type of money he makes who cares about a shoe deal. Dudes get caught up in the hype. Boxing is a hurt sport its not for dudes that want to hold hands and sing.
      Yah Floyd wouldn't be interested in making millions more with apparel deals. Rich ppl only give to charity for publicity and knowing they will get that money back from tax breaks

Comment

• A Mayweather fluff piece where he controls every aspect of what is being shown?

No, thanks.

It's a persona that has grown incredibly stale even within boxing heads.

I haven't watched a lick of promotional video on Mayweather since the abomination that was FloydHype following him around in and posting the videos in 4 minutes segments. I checked outta that and I have no interest in his stupid-ass repetitive soundbites and pre-packaged lines. Not surprised this bombed.

Comment

• Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
          The writer sounds butthurt, lol.

As somebody mentioned, there was a fight on HBO, Showtime, and the NBA playoffs were on...what did they expect?

Hell, Manny's fight with Tim was scheduled for Game 7 of the NBA finals last year. Stuff like that will hurt your numbers, especially if a huge event is free and your program costs money.
          Funny how the term 'butthurt' is always used in Floyd convos, when it was popularized by the DJ attempting to slam him (Boxingscene's highest rated article ever, BTW).

All I did was correct an earlier brief on the site claiming the ratings were a success. They weren't. But it's not a knock on Floyd. He's big enough to have three documentaries for one fight (which I did point out). He's big enough for Showtime to stick $38 million guaranteed in his hand - it's the network on the hook for the lack of interest, and Floyd campaigning less than in past fights.

If anything, Floyd deserves a lot of credit for working smart rather than hard.

FWIW, we reported last year that Pac-Bradley pulled in disappointing numbers (by Pacquiao standards). Excuses not needed, boxing's fault it can no longer compete with other major sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by davetheone View Post
            Good lord, do they let just anyone write articles for boxing scene?
            This is straight up a trash article. It's bias against Floyd Mayweather and Showtime.

8:00 Saturday night is a prime time slot for people with no life. Who the hell stays home at 8:00PM on a Saturday night?

Secondly most people didn't find out till the day after it aired, like myself and caught it on showtime (of which I became a subscriber recently because of mayweather and also golden boy and most of their boxers crossing the pond)

I wonder how many people watched Sergio Martinez on hbo as opposed to Danny Garcia on showtime? Anyone have those numbers?

It was actually a really good show; as was the all access series.

For NASCAR being on at the same time I don't think 1.7 million compared to nascars 5 million is bad at all. Even Nascars numbers for the night aren't impressive.

Stop hatin!

Showtime/CBS have only gotten better because Floyd Maywewther and Golden Boy, I am now a subscriber. Lol Larry Merchant must have seen the writing on the wall! He didn't go down with the ship.
            The bolded part is exactly my point - if that's the case, then why the f*** would Showtime/CBS air the segment at that time... and then only replay it on SHO Extreme?

And I'm sorry, but the show (From the few minutes I was able to sit through) was terrible. Someone else in this thread said it best... it came off as a throwaway show as part of the promotion.

The PPV will probably do fine, but every other aspect of the event has underperformed thus far - ESPECIALLY the actual promotion.

My point in the article is that nobody on board - with the exception of Kelly Swanson and her team - has done their part to go all in. Guerrero tried, but the arrest left him with a muzzle. Floyd was as selective as he's ever been in who he granted coverage. I don't say that as an ingrate, since Boxingscene was on that very short list.

Add to that, the lack of a press tour and the bull**** reasons why such was the case, the lack of interest in anything offered thus far... the point being that for the $$$ invested, a hell of a lot more could have been done than what has been the case to this point. Airing the segment in a slot they knew would be death at the ratings table is worth exposing. Not a knock on Floyd, but the promotion itself. Read it any way you want, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
              The bolded part is exactly my point - if that's the case, then why the f*** would Showtime/CBS air the segment at that time... and then only replay it on SHO Extreme?

And I'm sorry, but the show (From the few minutes I was able to sit through) was terrible. Someone else in this thread said it best... it came off as a throwaway show as part of the promotion.

The PPV will probably do fine, but every other aspect of the event has underperformed thus far - ESPECIALLY the actual promotion.

My point in the article is that nobody on board - with the exception of Kelly Swanson and her team - has done their part to go all in. Guerrero tried, but the arrest left him with a muzzle. Floyd was as selective as he's ever been in who he granted coverage. I don't say that as an ingrate, since Boxingscene was on that very short list.

Add to that, the lack of a press tour and the bull**** reasons why such was the case, the lack of interest in anything offered thus far... the point being that for the $$$ invested, a hell of a lot more could have been done than what has been the case to this point. Airing the segment in a slot they knew would be death at the ratings table is worth exposing. Not a knock on Floyd, but the promotion itself. Read it any way you want, though.
              Well said, agreed.

Comment

• Why is this even a thread

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post

Isn't that time slot the same as when 24/7's are usually shown?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrjoeblive View Post
                    So thats why they gave him the richest contract in the history of boxing.
                    They gonna regret wasting millions on the chicken, that's for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by davetheone View Post
                      Good lord, do they let just anyone write articles for boxing scene?
                      This is straight up a trash article. It's bias against Floyd Mayweather and Showtime.

8:00 Saturday night is a prime time slot for people with no life. Who the hell stays home at 8:00PM on a Saturday night?

Secondly most people didn't find out till the day after it aired, like myself and caught it on showtime (of which I became a subscriber recently because of mayweather and also golden boy and most of their boxers crossing the pond)

I wonder how many people watched Sergio Martinez on hbo as opposed to Danny Garcia on showtime? Anyone have those numbers?

It was actually a really good show; as was the all access series.

For NASCAR being on at the same time I don't think 1.7 million compared to nascars 5 million is bad at all. Even Nascars numbers for the night aren't impressive.

Stop hatin!

Showtime/CBS have only gotten better because Floyd Maywewther and Golden Boy, I am now a subscriber. Lol Larry Merchant must have seen the writing on the wall! He didn't go down with the ship.
                      If Mayweather is as good as he has been claiming of himself, people will pass a free ticket to Copacabana just to watch his life documentary on TV.

Stop making excuses.

Comment

Working...
                      X