Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the longest recorded fight in history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the longest recorded fight in history?

I know that John L Sullivan went 75 rounds with Jake Kilrain in the bareknuckle days, and I have heard there were some fights from around the same time that went into the 100 rounds. Does anyone know the record for longest recorded boxing match ever, bareknuckle or with gloves?

I don't know, but there was this story I read about a fight that lasted from sunrise until sunset, but they took a lot of breaks. This happened in the 1800s. I'll post a link to the article if I can find it again.

Comment

the answer is Andy Bowen against Jack Burke on april 6th 1893. The longest boxing match ever fought took place in New Orleans on Apr. 6, 1893. The match was between Andy Bowen and Jack Burke, both of whom claimed the lightweight title after the reigning champ, Jack McAuliffe, retired. The winner-take-all purse was set at $2,500, and in order to decide who was really the new champion, the match was to be fought to a finish.

All through the contest, the fighters went at each other aggressively, pounding each other with their gloves, inflicting and sustaining tremendous punishment. Yet, as the 3-min. rounds wore on, neither fighter could put the other away. The incredible bout continued far into the night, lasting over seven hours in all. When the bell sounded for the 111th round, both fighters, dazed and weary, gave up and did not come out of their corners. At that, the referee unbelievably ruled the bout "no contest." Burke never fought again. Bowen fought only one more match; he died after being knocked out in 18 rounds.

Can you believe that? Fighting for 111 rounds just for a "no-contest" ?

Comment

wow. Andy Bowen and Jack Burke were studs

Comment

thats what i call stamina ^^

Comment

the longest fight in history? negotiations for pac n floyd to get it on

Comment

I want to say 115th round, but 111th with documentation is good enough...

Comment

Originally posted by WesleySnipes View Post
                the answer is Andy Bowen against Jack Burke on april 6th 1893. The longest boxing match ever fought took place in New Orleans on Apr. 6, 1893. The match was between Andy Bowen and Jack Burke, both of whom claimed the lightweight title after the reigning champ, Jack McAuliffe, retired. The winner-take-all purse was set at $2,500, and in order to decide who was really the new champion, the match was to be fought to a finish.

All through the contest, the fighters went at each other aggressively, pounding each other with their gloves, inflicting and sustaining tremendous punishment. Yet, as the 3-min. rounds wore on, neither fighter could put the other away. The incredible bout continued far into the night, lasting over seven hours in all. When the bell sounded for the 111th round, both fighters, dazed and weary, gave up and did not come out of their corners. At that, the referee unbelievably ruled the bout "no contest." Burke never fought again. Bowen fought only one more match; he died after being knocked out in 18 rounds.

Can you believe that? Fighting for 111 rounds just for a "no-contest" ?
                Damn that's crazy.

Their faces must've looked like ****.

Comment

111 rd omgggggggggggg

Comment

They must of been fighting at the same pace as Floyd

Comment

Working...
                    X