Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing's biggest myth exposed: "Calzaghe just slaps"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eubank was way past it and took the fight on 11 days notice, he was scheduled to fight at CW at the time and had to get down to 168 in under 2 weeks.

Comment

I don't think it matters if he hit hard or slapped...

Still won all of his fights.

Comment

the tactic developed early in his career, not late. He found he could get away with his low calibre opponents giving up early on without a fight without hitting them hard, so he could elect to slap rather than throw solid punches, whereupon they would fold and hand him another successful defence.

Later on it became a signature move of his when he was losing fights based on skill, he relied on quantity in place of quality. He had Olympian fitness, only this allowed him to volume slap like he did. Its not something anyone could do.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          This isn't the first time Eubank has said this however, he always references Calzaghe's power despite losing to other fighters too.

He was at the tail end of his career but he fought Collins at the tail-end of his career too and never speaks on him being a hard puncher.

Calzaghe clearly had some technique issues which showed up from time to time but I take Eubank at his word, the guy could bang.

Collins floored Eubank too & had him badly hurt multiple times. I think Rocchigiani floored him too.

I'm pretty sure Eubank said Watson was the hardest puncher he'd ever faced & hit harder than Benn which does somewhat surprise me.

I really don't think Joe was a puncher but I wouldn't go as far as saying he was feather-fisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            Eubank was way past it and took the fight on 11 days notice, he was scheduled to fight at CW at the time and had to get down to 168 in under 2 weeks.

I thought he took that on short notice and I did recall he hadn't fought at 168 in a long time. Well recalled.

So yeah he basically killed himself to make the weight. No wonder he was feeling those shots.

Comment

well Eubank took the fight for the money, he clearly wasnt interested in winning his old seen-it-done-it title again. SO its no wonder he didnt care about being in shape for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                Eubank was at the tale end of his career, he primed very early. He was semi-retired & fought Joe at a weight he hadn't fought at in years.

Just about every super middleweight has some power. Joe may not of been feather fisted as such but quite clearly he did not hit very hard. He stopped guys from an accumulation and often the stoppages was disgustingly premature.

Its ridiculous to even claim Joe hit hard & IMO its clutching at straws when you say ''This fighter felt his punches he should know'' Fighters say a lot of things, when they do they're usually being modest or exaggerating to make themselves feel better.
                Eubank later fought Carl Thompson (the guy knocked out Haye) AT CRUISERWEIGHT. So Eubank knows how power changes in weight divisions. When he says Calzaghe hits hard, then he says it cause he means it. And who are you to say different really? Have you been hit by Calzaghe or Cruiserweights? No? Cause Eubank has.
                As for your other comment: Rocchigiani didn't drop Eubank.
                Last edited by BRITISH LlON; 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
                  This isn't the first time Eubank has said this however, he always references Calzaghe's power despite losing to other fighters too.

He was at the tail end of his career but he fought Collins at the tail-end of his career too and never speaks on him being a hard puncher.

Calzaghe clearly had some technique issues which showed up from time to time but I take Eubank at his word, the guy could bang.
                  Could it be that he is a little embarrased to have lost to a guy that doens't punch hard (or so the people thinks) so he feels he has to tell them that he actually hit hard? I don't know, just a thought.

Comment

mosley says mayweather hits as hard as canelo. some people lie! look at all the videos of calzaghe slapping and getting early stoppages. clearly he's a bi-tch!

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
                      Eubank later fought Carl Thompson (the guy knocked out Haye) AT CRUISERWEIGHT. So Eubank knows how power changes in weight divisions. When he says Calzaghe hits hard, then he says it cause he means it. And who are you to say different really? Have you been hit by Calzaghe or Cruiserweights? No? Cause Eubank has.
                      As for your other comment: Rocchigiani didn't drop Eubank.
                      eubank also said he was completely drained for the calzaghe fight. so who should we believe? eubank or eubank? is ward a big puncher now because he knocked down dawson? lol. calzaghe fans just stop.

Comment

Working...
                      X