No announcement yet.

Dibella's strategy for Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dibella's strategy for Martinez

I think Dibella's strategy for Martinez's career is all wrong. Basically he wants Martinez to fight low risk low reward guys until he gets a shot against a big draw (Floyd, Pac or JCC jr). Horrible strategy because he WILL NOT get a shot against any of these names, regardless of the weight, purse split or mandatory status. He's not a big draw, he's a big risk medium reward fighter so the big names have no reason to fight him. He's 37, he doesn't have time to wait for a shot that he'll never get, he needs to get in the ring with top guys at 160 and 154. Here are the guys he can realistically fight :

-Pirog
    -Sturm
    -Geale
    -Taylor
    -Kirkland/Molina winner
    -Lara
    -Quillin
    -Trout

He needs to focus on these names and build his own legacy before he's shot.

kinda like Hopkins minus the DLH and Tito paydays

Comment

I agree. And whats sad is that hes struggling with euro bums like Macklin and Barker bloodied his face up.

No wonder he wants to drop down in weight cuz he knows anyone worth a damn at 160 will knock him out worse than Marg did.

Comment

Stop hating on sergio it's a fight you can't expect not to get hit. He handled them easy plus Sergio should be fighting at 154.

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
        I agree. And whats sad is that hes struggling with euro bums like Macklin and Barker bloodied his face up.

No wonder he wants to drop down in weight cuz he knows anyone worth a damn at 160 will knock him out worse than Marg did.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          I think Dibella's strategy for Martinez's career is all wrong. Basically he wants Martinez to fight low risk low reward guys until he gets a shot against a big draw (Floyd, Pac or JCC jr). Horrible strategy because he WILL NOT get a shot against any of these names, regardless of the weight, purse split or mandatory status. He's not a big draw, he's a big risk medium reward fighter so the big names have no reason to fight him. He's 37, he doesn't have time to wait for a shot that he'll never get, he needs to get in the ring with top guys at 160 and 154. Here are the guys he can realistically fight :

-Pirog
          -Sturm
          -Geale
          -Taylor
          -Kirkland/Molina winner
          -Lara
          -Quillin
          -Trout

Kirkland wants to fight him, Quillin isn't quite ready yet, Sturm doesn't want to fight him, HBO supposedly won't buy Pirog/Martinez, Taylor should not be able to come back and go for the top dog, Lara and Trout don't have enough name value.

Martinez is in such a bad position. On one side, you have guys that make match-up sense, but don't want to fight him (Chavez, Sturm). On another side, you have guys who want to fight, but don't have much name value (Pirog, Golovkin, most of the LMWs). On another note, I would love for Kirkland to step to K9's inactive ass and take that IBF belt. When is the IBF gonna strip this dude?

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post

-Pirog
            -Sturm
            -Geale
            -Taylor
            -Kirkland/Molina winner
            -Lara
            -Quillin
            -Trout

You forgot Golovkin, who is IMO the biggest threat in the division. The thing is he is practicaly unknown.
            Defenitly, Kirkland is the best choice if Sergio´s main aim is to fight in the US and sell some tickets. It would be a war.

Comment

Sergio at 37 wants that payday and who can blame him and Chavez won't even look at a picture of him

Comment

Chavez and his team including bob arum want nothing to do with sergio.

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                Sergio at 37 wants that payday and who can blame him and Chavez won't even look at a picture of him

Comment

Well it hard to make fights using that strategy that won't make us throw up our lunch when they're announced. I guess it depends on what weight he does to.....either way, they can stick to the low risk, and bump it up to medium reward plan if they fight Arthur Abraham, Taylor, Delvin Rodriguez, or Margarito. maybe blah ideas I know, but they are obviously waiting it out until something falls in their lap

I'd expect they continue making fights in the NY area, and both JT and Delvin have fought many times on the east coast. Delvin might bring some tickets and he's on a run of his own. Margarito rematch, maybe they can finally bring him out to the west coast and a step closer to Vegas. Because the $$$$ guys like Pac/Floyd/Canelo/JR, etc aren't going to fight him on the east coast.

Do I like any of these ideas? No...but maybe they don't like the idea of waiting for JR to fight when he is going to be a lot bigger come fight night anyway. Even if Chavez and TR somehow say yes to that fight....it's still a high risk/medium reward fight in many ways....a lot of people think he should destroy JR anyway.
                  Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    Kirkland wants to fight him, Quillin isn't quite ready yet, Sturm doesn't want to fight him, HBO supposedly won't buy Pirog/Martinez, Taylor should not be able to come back and go for the top dog, Lara and Trout don't have enough name value.
                    Did he really send Sturm a serious business offer? If HBO doesn't wanna buy Pirog/Martinez then fuck'em, go to Showtime or even boxnation/epix. Martinez would make a lot of money fighting in Russia because Pirog is a big draw over there.

Originally posted by Nicolino View Post
                    You forgot Golovkin, who is IMO the biggest threat in the division. The thing is he is practicaly unknown.
                    Defenitly, Kirkland is the best choice if Sergio´s main aim is to fight in the US and sell some tickets. It would be a war.
                    Golovkin is one of the most dangerous fighters in boxing period but he needs to step up his comp. Everyone on my list is either a world champ, former world champ or has beaten solid contenders.

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                    Well it hard to make fights using that strategy that won't make us throw up our lunch when they're announced. I guess it depends on what weight he does to.....either way, they can stick to the low risk, and bump it up to medium reward plan if they fight Arthur Abraham, Taylor, Delvin Rodriguez, or Margarito. maybe blah ideas I know, but they are obviously waiting it out until something falls in their lap

I'd expect they continue making fights in the NY area, and both JT and Delvin have fought many times on the east coast. Delvin might bring some tickets and he's on a run of his own. Margarito rematch, maybe they can finally bring him out to the west coast and a step closer to Vegas. Because the $$$$ guys like Pac/Floyd/Canelo/JR, etc aren't going to fight him on the east coast.

Do I like any of these ideas? No...but maybe they don't like the idea of waiting for JR to fight when he is going to be a lot bigger come fight night anyway. Even if Chavez and TR somehow say yes to that fight....it's still a high risk/medium reward fight in many ways....a lot of people think he should destroy JR anyway.
                    An Abraham or Taylor fight would actually be a step up for Martinez. I would hate to see him fight Margarito, it would be a waste of time. I think Martinez is going to fight Andy Lee who is decent but would do nothing for Martinez's career and legacy.

Comment

Working...
                    X