Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do trainers tell fighters to fight like Darren Barker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do trainers tell fighters to fight like Darren Barker?

Okay, not like the actual fighter but protect first and look for the perfect punch. This style, never works unless you are a very quick fighter with very good accuracy. Chances are if you hold those two skills, you don't need to fight like that anyways. It's such a poor way to fight and drastically lowers your chances to win. Sure, you might not be kayoed but you give up far to many rounds and eventually force yourself into a bad position all around. Unless you are very gifted, you must throw, and you must throw with the mindset that to make the guy make a mistake is to swarm him to make him trade and then take advantage of that mistake. Barker wasted a spot on HBO and wasted the fans time. He never stood a chance physically and especially mentally. Shame on his team or any team that is training fighters to do this.

Well for one Barker won at least 3 maybe 4 rounds out of 10. Which is way more than any 'expert' was predicting, so without even seeing the fight you could say that was a master stroke from the trainer, especially considering Barker normally fights with his hands lower.

Secondly Barker had a real chance to win, sadly his stamina wasnt quite the match of MArtinez. His tactics were almost perfect, if he'd thrown another 5-8 decent punches a round he wouldve been winning the fight before the KO. No quesitn Martinez is more talented, faster, stronger etc but the fact Barker competed is testament to his heart, tactics and trainer.

Comment

Its called boxing not fighting, Martinez biggest problem was that he couldn't find openings to exploit if Barker was more aggressive it would have been over earlier, Barker was up on Judges scorecards after 7. Not bad for a fighter that was apparently there to be beaten.

Comment

Its called boxing pal,i cant even be bothered too explain it too you,i shouldnt need too,but this is NSB i suppose

Comment

I can't say I agree with the judges or anyone that awarded 4 rounds to Barker. Sure, Martinez struggled to find the openings but I certainly will reward fighters for trying to make a fight and activity, even if it is touching the gloves. Activity and putting yourself out there trumps a few stiff jabs over a course of 3 minutes of action. You can't win a fight if you fight like Darren Barker did last night unless you can counter punch. His team knew what he is and imo they trained him to safely come home but didn't train him to actually win and make something of his career. If you aren't willing to go out there and take that victory, you already lost in the sport of boxing.

Comment

I agree with you about the fighting style being bad tactically but to say Barker wasted HBO's time? The first 6 rounds were incredible, good action, high intensity. Although Barker did not throw enough combinations, his defence was something to admire and as a figh fan I thought this was a great fight. Barker gave a good acoount of himself, but yes ultimately his teams tactics let him down.

Nevertheless a super fight...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
              Its called boxing pal,i cant even be bothered too explain it too you,i shouldnt need too,but this is NSB i suppose
              LOL, yeah that's boxing if you plan on never being able to compete truly on a top level. That guy never had a chance of victory when you break down his skills and what would give him a chance at victory. Barker isn't very skilled and his best chance to win WAS NOT to fight like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostlinka View Post
                I agree with you about the fighting style being bad tactically but to say Barker wasted HBO's time? The first 6 rounds were incredible, good action, high intensity. Although Barker did not throw enough combinations, his defence was something to admire and as a figh fan I thought this was a great fight. Barker gave a good acoount of himself, but yes ultimately his teams tactics let him down.

Nevertheless a super fight...
                I can see how fans enjoyed the fight because it was a decent little fight but to me his team didn't put him in the right spot to actually win. I'd rather take a brawling type fight if that puts that fighter in the best spot to win. His team didn't want him to get kayoed(which he did either way) or else they would of trained him to open up and actually have the chance to create more offense.

Comment

I thought he fought a good fight.

His only problem was he wasn't active enough.

I think that sort of style can be extremely effective as long as you can maintain a good pace throughout a fight.

Comment

Most fighters will take their time in the opening rounds. Taking the time to see your opponents speed, time to find his rythme and easing your punches in between. To dance about using the ring just seeing........

But there is a time when you have to shift gears. Having seen the neccesities it is a fighters duty to begin pushing the fight. Whether it be crowding in and rough housing or standing on the outside and sticking the jab. Whatever it turns out to be you go for for it and make it work. Alterations will be made to this process through the fight but you gotta do something.

There is one attribute that no coach or trainer through the history of the game has ever been able to teach..................Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X