Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Baseball franchises which have moved retain their history/retired numbers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Baseball franchises which have moved retain their history/retired numbers?

Franchises like the Dodgers and Giants have kept their history despite changing coasts. Should the A's for example retire the numbers of the ATG Philly players, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, Mickey Cochrane, and Al Simmons? What about franchises who have changed their names - should the Orioles for example honor George Sisler, or the Twins Walter Johnson? If not, should the Nats honor him (there were no player numbers at the time) as they have taken the place of the old franchise? Should they have kept the retired Expos numbers when they moved? Because of all the the team changes many of the legendary players of the game have been left in limbo.

If this happened with every sport, LA Lakers would have been only 11 time champions and the rest of the 5 belong to Minn.

But na, a franchise is a franchise.

Comment

At least all those guys will be remembered in the HOF, but yeah if the team moves they should keep the retired numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        If this happened with every sport, LA Lakers would have been only 11 time champions and the rest of the 5 belong to Minn.

But na, a franchise is a franchise.
        Incidentally, do you think the Yanks should have built the new ballpark in Manhattan rather than buckling under pressure? They only started in the Bronx because they were the stepchild of the then-marquee Giants, but now that the rival Giants are gone would it really have been that bad for them to move into the heart of the city if they were determined to tear down old Yankee stadium anyway? The old Polo Grounds was at W155th and Frederick Douglass Blvd. - if they had built in uptown Manhattan it might have helped revitalize the area.
        Last edited by Miburo; 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
          At least all those guys will be remembered in the HOF, but yeah if the team moves they should keep the retired numbers.
          Some dude in Philly who lives on the north side near the old Shibe Park site has recently started a group to campaign for the A's to return to Philly since it looks like they're doomed in Oakland at this point anyway. It has no chance of happening, but it's a cool idea. http://www.facebook.com/bringyourasgame

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
            Some dude in Philly who lives on the north side near the old Shibe Park site has recently started a group to campaign for the A's to return to Philly since it looks like they're doomed in Oakland at this point anyway. It has no chance of happening, but it's a cool idea. http://www.facebook.com/bringyourasgame
            That would be bad ass the A's were in Philly forever. Connie Mack was awesome. Manager/Owner and he managed in a full suit LOL!!! Then he would have really good teams and then get rid of all of them so his teams would be ****ty. Because he would actually make more money when they were.

Then I like Shibe park. It was wanna those cool old fields. I can't remember what baseball game it was a few years back and you could play in all the old fields if you wanted and I always liked playing in Shibe Park. I usually did when I played the A's.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
              That would be bad ass the A's were in Philly forever. Connie Mack was awesome. Manager/Owner and he managed in a full suit LOL!!! Then he would have really good teams and then get rid of all of them so his teams would be ****ty. Because he would actually make more money when they were.

Then I like Shibe park. It was wanna those cool old fields. I can't remember what baseball game it was a few years back and you could play in all the old fields if you wanted and I always liked playing in Shibe Park. I usually did when I played the A's.
              Shibe Park had an awesome facade, looked like an opera house or a classical-style government building or something.

Yeah, Mack's managing records have no chance of ever being broken. La Russa is very close to breaking most of McGraw's though for the number two spots.

The Phillies were complete bums until 1950, the A's ruled Philly until the Whiz Kids shifted the popularity in the opposite direction, contributing to their departure from the city.

I kind of wish the A's would go back to the old white-based uniforms from before Charlie O. Finley glammed them out in the 70s. Recently I've been trying to find out why and when the extra flange was added to the traditional "A" logo.

Comment

Working...
              X