No announcement yet.

Boxing words/phrases for No0bs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing words/phrases for No0bs

I'm a new boxing fan and English isn't my first language. There are a lot boxing lingo that I don't understand the meaning. Anyone care to help?

1. "Ugly" A lot of fighters have described to have an "ugly" style like B-Hop or Hatton
    2. "Get on the bicycle"
    3. "Cute"

There's probably some more but I can't remember for now.

Originally posted by Nagabilly View Post
    I'm a new boxing fan and English isn't my first language. There are a lot boxing lingo that I don't understand the meaning. Anyone care to help?

1. "Ugly" A lot of fighters have described to have an "ugly" style like B-Hop or Hatton
    2. "Get on the bicycle"
    3. "Cute"

1. Boring, a lot of clinching, very crude. At least that what it means imo. With B-Hop its a little different. He's described as that because most of his gameplan is to neturalise what you do (similar to what Devon does). He doesn't care what it looks like as long as he gets the W.

2. Keep moving. Don't stand and trade. Don't do nothing silly.

3. No idea there mate. In what sense.

Comment

2. "Get on the bicycle"
      3. "Cute"

Ugly When a fighter makes it a difficult fight by using questionable tactics bordering on illegal OR when a fighter just has a very unorthodox style that is difficult to gauge thus making the fight ugly.

"Getting on the bicyle" Means a guy is moving aroud the ring allot using his legs to evade without attacking. usually when a fighter is injured some people see him get on his bike to get out or harms way.

"Cute" is when a guy does something out of the ordinary offensively or defensibly that capitalizes or bring the crowd into the fight. like Sugar Ray Leonard taunting Roberto Duran or Roy Jones in his prime doing a robot dance when his opponent hits his guard. he makes the opponent look silly it's also an aspect of showmanship.

Comment

Cute describes a box and move, slick and flashy defensive style.

Comment

Cute = Slicksters, think of somebody like Pernell Whitaker.

Comment

2. "Get on the bicycle"
            3. "Cute"

Cute, or cutie pie, usually refers to a crafty or tricky boxer as far as I know.

Comment

Ugly is basically means a fighter whose fight doesn't look good on the eye, A fighter whose fight you might not enjoy because he is holding or clinching too much..

Get on the bike is basically a fighter that is "Running" or using too much lateral movement for his opponent or fans liking.

A cute is just a fighter who makes all his fight look beautiful when throwing a punch.

Comment

1 and 2 has already been described. "Cute" can mean different things. probably means "technically good" boxing most of the time.

Comment

@P4P_No1: I've heard some fighters described to have a "cute" style or a "cutey"

Comment

I've sometimes heard people use 'cutie pie' to refer to a fighter who's deceptively tough or dangerous.

Deceptive is probably the best interpretation of it overall.

Comment

Working...
                    X