Richard Steele's Call on Chavez-Taylor I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MexiKneecanQuit View Post
    I dont believe anyone would say that was a good stoppage

If Chavez had bone crushing power...then maybe, but Chavez KOed people with accumulating punches.

Steele was either influenced by the promoter or simply incompetent that night.

If all Chavez defenders are going "by the book" then Steele should have enforced that Chavez was in a neutral corner and by the time Chavez reached Taylor traveling across the ring the time would have run out.
    Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Bad comparison. A last second shot in basketball is official, not a judgement call. It is a referee's job to be aware of the round, the time remaining, and every other factor in the fight. Most boxing referees would agree with this.
    The main thing on Steeles mind was to see whether Taylor was fit to continue.
    He didnt respond, and therefore the fight was stopped.

I think it would be incompetent of any referee to allow a fighter to continue when he is busted up, has been knocked down, and isnt responding to questions.

In this situation, the time left in the round, who was ahead on the scorecards and where Chavez was standing should all be irrelevant when judging the health of a hurt fighter.

Its potentially a life and death decision. And with that in mind, it was a great call considering the controversy and emotional implications of stopping the fight.

Comment

If Steele thought "Taylor looks ****ed, and isnt responding....i should stop the fight......nah, **** it! He fought well, and he deserves to be the first fighter to beat Chavez!"

That would be totally unfair and reprehensibly biased.

Taylor lost the fight because he was busted up, knocked down and didnt respond.
      It was a great comeback win for Chavez.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Chingas View Post
        Neither was Chavez. At the time that Steele waved his hands which was at 5 seconds,, Chavez was lurking a few feet behind Steele. Had he motioned for the fight to continue, its not out of question that Chavez could have easily swooped in with another punch ala Mosley.

True.

But IMO it's more liklely Steele would motion him back to the neutral corner,then wipe Taylor's gloves then let them box.

That would probably end the fight with no more punches landed.

The event of a second knockdown also gives several scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Chingas View Post
          Neither was Chavez. At the time that Steele waved his hands which was at 5 seconds,, Chavez was lurking a few feet behind Steele. Had he motioned for the fight to continue, its not out of question that Chavez could have easily swooped in with another punch ala Mosley.

Chavez would have to go to a neutral corner before the action could resume. Apparently you're not intelligent enough to understand that. Or maybe your bias clouds your already cloudy judgment. And unfortunately for Chavez he never hit as hard as Mosley at any weight. I'll wait for you to list all of Chavez one punch KO's that you feel he miraculously could have had in this fight.

Comment

Working...
          X