No announcement yet.

pre fight warm up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre fight warm up

iv got my first boxing match in a few weeks, its only 3 x 2 mins but just wanted a bit of general advice on how much/what type of pre fight warm up exercises to do. i find i can take body shots better after a bit of medicine ball and was wondering if boxing with some light hand weights for a while would liven up my arms and torso. any advice welcome and ill upload the fight after it happens. cheers.

also on a separate note i was sparring a cruiser weight (im only welter) and got hit with a right cross, i held my hands up to show i was a bit dazed, and the next thing i know 10-15 minutes had passed and i was downstairs without any gear on, knocked me into the future a bit. just wondering if anyone had similar experience.

Comment

Warmups and Blanking Out

I would not warm up with weights in the dressng room, rather hit the striking pads and slip punches your trainer throws. Also shadow box hard.

Comment

Til you get warm, Notice warm up... Silly joke, stretch, Well it shall not feel like you just woke up, do some jumpin around, throw some punches, try to feel the rythm, Just dont kill yourself before the fight...

Comment

Your basic warm up should be the same you do prior to starting your gym time. You should have developed a warm up to use prior to sparring then you can get an idea how much time you need to get loose! Lots of stretching long before your bout and some light pads are usually a good warm. No weights in your hands and NO rub downs on back or legs!
          Don't you have a trainer? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronpaul View Post
            also on a separate note i was sparring a cruiser weight (im only welter) and got hit with a right cross, i held my hands up to show i was a bit dazed, and the next thing i know 10-15 minutes had passed and i was downstairs without any gear on, knocked me into the future a bit. just wondering if anyone had similar experience.
            Yeah you could have been concussed. I've been concussed after just a knockdown in sparring. All of a sudden I was in my car at home and I couldn't remember driving there.. I couldn't remember anything after the 4th/5th round. It felt like I had a relapse on drugs or something. Apparently I was going forward too much and eating too many left hands because my right hand was too low.

Good luck in the fight! Make sure you drink plenty water before it otherwise you might feel light-headed and be hurt by shots you normally wouldn't.

Comment

If your trainer allows a 35lb+ spar mate to knock you out yopur being abused, simple as that!! The only reason for this type of "training" is if your an azzhole in the gym or your just being used asmeat by azzholes!! Better evaluate what I'm telling you, I trained fighters for many years and my gym is still active today and run by one of the young men I trained 25 years ago!
              Don't let anyone disrespect you, especially when its your health and life! Ray
              ...........or you have no "whiskers" at all...!
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM.

Comment

If your trainer allows a 35lb+ spar mate to knock you out yopur being abused, simple as that!! The only reason for this type of "training" is if your an azzhole in the gym or your just being used asmeat by azzholes!! Better evaluate what I'm telling you, I trained fighters for many years and my gym is still active today and run by one of the young men I trained 25 years ago!
                Don't let anyone disrespect you, especially when its your health and life! Ray
                ...........or you have no "whiskers" at all...!
                to be honest it wasnt really there fault, i asked if i could jump in and i could hear the trainer asking him to go easy on me, and also i havnt really got a trainer. iv always been a boxing fan but hated going down to the clubs, nothing but cardio and trying to get me to fight like ali, me and my brother have been sparring for a few years now and i managed to get a low level boxing match by just sparring a few guys from a gym i found on the internet. as for my regular warm up, its usually just sparring but only at 30% for a while then slowly crank it up.
                Good luck in the fight! Make sure you drink plenty water before it otherwise you might feel light-headed and be hurt by shots you normally wouldn't.
                cheers man

Comment

So the gym tried to teach you proper technique and this is "trying to get me to fight like ali"? Just curious.

Comment

Everyone has there own ways to warm up but I usually have a little shake out then start a little light shadow just 30 seconds on shake out the another 30 seconds really trying to stay loose then gloves on and start the pad work just throwing light punches with the odd heavy shot to finish the combo . You will probley start warming up and feel like your getting tired and start questioning if ure fit ect.. But try ignore this it's just nerves . Good luck mate and if it's your first fight try keep tidy , hands up and no wild shots and your be ok

Comment

Working...
                    X