No announcement yet.

catching read hands question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catching read hands question

As a southpaw I find myself in sparring sometimes blocking their right hand but recently Ive actually been catching them in my glove/parry......my coach hasnt really said anything about it, just make sure you dont reach But im wondering if anyone does this? Should I stick to blocking and slipping their right or actually pay more attention to catching it....

You can most definitely catch the right hand and there are a few ways to do it. Like your coach said, the main thing is not to reach.

Comment

Originally posted by shs101 View Post
      As a southpaw I find myself in sparring sometimes blocking their right hand but recently Ive actually been catching them in my glove/parry......my coach hasnt really said anything about it, just make sure you dont reach But im wondering if anyone does this? Should I stick to blocking and slipping their right or actually pay more attention to catching it....
      In my opinion, catching the right hand as a southpaw is the best way to deal with it. I am southpaw and it is my primary way of defending against it. Since I learned to start doing this, I don't even really worry about right hands too much. The slightest of movement will protect you from a straight right hand to the head or body. The other good thing is it keeps you in position to counter with a right hook if you want.

4:09 and 8:27 are good examples of how I do it.

In order to do this though, you ALWAYS have to keep your left hand against your chin with the pinky side of your glove sticking out a couple inches from your face. The placement of your hand is VERY important. But what that also allows you to do is if you are quicker than your opponent, you can intercept their right hand by shooting your left hand inside of it. You can see me try this at 2:04 in the video. Even though it didn't land, it intercepted his right hand. But because it's a counter punch, even if it doesn't land, it can make your opponent tentative to throw out of fear of what's coming back when they do.

Comment

Can I just reitterate . . . DO NOT REACH! I'm sure your coach covered this, but if you reach, you'll get feinted, you'll reach for a punch that's not there, then BOOM knocked the F out.

But if you can catch, it opens up so many options to you. So I'd definately keep working on it. But you still will need to block and slip frequently.

Comment

Roll his right hand while stepping in and fire your left fist into his nose as your back foot follows up, hook and spin off and then do as you please. It works. I was fighting out of Galaxy with James Toney back in the day, we all used the roll technique to some degree in our fighting but unlike James I was a pressure fighter. That's Art Door in your video, this was a Tough Glove Match I assume.... I used to ref in some of his shows......... Rockin'

Comment

I prefer to slip any punch and then I have both my hands to return combinations with! Blocking is letting one of your arms to be occupied so work on slipping and when you slip you need to avoid the shot by the smallest of margins so you remain in punching distance! This is when your best defensive moves leads directly into your best offensive moves!
            Its certainly not easy to learn and then to perfect but it is a lesson in technique thats worth the time to perfect! The highest form of defense! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              I prefer to slip any punch and then I have both my hands to return combinations with! Blocking is letting one of your arms to be occupied so work on slipping and when you slip you need to avoid the shot by the smallest of margins so you remain in punching distance! This is when your best defensive moves leads directly into your best offensive moves!
              Its certainly not easy to learn and then to perfect but it is a lesson in technique thats worth the time to perfect! The highest form of defense! Ray
              I thoght the same until I was trained to work directly inside of their rythme, it's a whole new (very comfortable) world to play in. It's all in the eyes. Have you ever tried rolling/catching?

Watch James Toney vs Prince Charles Williams I believe. You surprise them right inbetween their rythme. They are not expecting it and bing! ............ Rockin'
              Last edited by Rockin'; 05-09-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                I thoght the same until I was trained to work directly inside of their rythme, it's a whole new (very comfortable) world to play in. It's all in the eyes. Have you ever tried rolling/catching?

Watch James Toney vs Prince Charles Williams I believe. You surprise them right inbetween their rythme. They are not expecting it and bing! ............ Rockin'
                I agree...but ultimately it depends on the fighter. Some have the tools to slip better than catch/roll, some vice versa. There is a larger margin of error with slipping punches than catching or rolling though. Miss the timing of the punch or the angle with your slip, and you get caught easily.

As far as the rolling technique, are you talking about 6:01 in this video? He's rolling a jab vs. a right but looks like similar concept. If so, that is a great technique but takes a bit of quickness and athletic ability. I'd try it but suspect I'd be too slow to pull it off. Would like to see a video showing this technique specifically for a right hand.

The main more evasive way I like to deal with the right hand is to step in and out to my right and shoot the left hand to intercept it. Probably a better move if you got good footwork. Once again, the master Rigo gives us an example of this at 7:20 in the same video below.

Last edited by mconstantine; 05-09-2013, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                  I agree...but ultimately it depends on the fighter. Some have the tools to slip better than catch/roll, some vice versa. There is a larger margin of error with slipping punches than catching or rolling though. Miss the timing of the punch or the angle with your slip, and you get caught easily.

As far as the rolling technique, are you talking about 6:01 in this video? He's rolling a jab vs. a right but looks like similar concept. If so, that is a great technique but takes a bit of quickness and athletic ability. I'd try it but suspect I'd be too slow to pull it off. Would like to see a video showing this technique specifically for a right hand.

The main more evasive way I like to deal with the right hand is to step in and out to my right and shoot the left hand to intercept it. Probably a better move if you got good footwork. Once again, the master Rigo gives us an example of this at 7:20 in the same video below.

at 6:01 it's nearly the exact defensive movement except the right glove should be covering the face. the guy actually threw a jab, same defensive moves when he throws the left.

and it's not about quickness nor athletic ability. It's all about how well conditioned/experienced your eyes are and having sharp/pinpoint timing.............Rockin'

Comment

Be extremely careful not to involve your arm into the movement as reaching will lead to a major disaster. Try and find some guys who are adept at feinting the right to practice and insure you aren't cheating.

Comment

Working...
                    X