No announcement yet.

So I've been summoned for jury duty

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    I haven't decided if I want to attempt to serve on the jury or make an effort to get pinged by the defense lawyer yet.

On the one hand, it's a pretty unique civic experience that, if selected, I take very seriously.

But on the other hand, if I get picked to serve I'll end up having to spend at least a week or two conversating with (and pretending to like) my fellow jurors which, given my location, will most likely consist of Bible thumping conservative rednecks who think that Obama is the antichrist and abortion is murder.

Furthermore - The compensation. 30 bucks a day? Really? I mean, I don't expect them to pay me what my actual job pays me, but couldn't they at least make it minimum wage, FFS?
    this was the main reason why i decided to get out of it. i didn't really mind the actual jury duty because that's an experience many wont have. not to sound full of myself but my time was more valuable then what they were going to pay especially for something that important.
    Last edited by Shadow boxer 3; 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Assuming I decide to go with being dismissed, the question then becomes 'how'?

Giving extreme answers during the voir dire certainly seems like an easy way to accomplish it, but a bit too easy for my tastes. The way I look at it, if I'm going to get thrown off of a potential jury panel - I'm going out in style.

I would attempt to accomplish this by making insane statements to my fellow jurors. Perhaps I could mention that I believe the Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax, that 9/11 was an inside job, or that I believe that jury duty is just Governmental code for the selection process of being picked to be visited by Obama's death squad? But I live in the South, so I'm sure a few of these uber-paranoid gun nuts would be likely to nod their head in agreeance with me on those two statements.

Maybe I could ask the Sheriff how long the process is going to take, and then when he tells me he doesn't know I could make an impatient comment about hoping it doesn't take too long so that I could get back to "chillin' with my sneaker crew".

Or I could just shave my head into a mowhawk, put on a pair of aviator sunglasses, and dawn a green military field jacket zipped to the throat ala' 'Travis Bickle' and see what happens.

Comment

so i see you like challenges, but i wouldn't go too extreme, make it believable. an intelligent man like yourself I'm sure you'll figure something out if you decide to go that route

Comment

You call the jury association or whatever its called and tell them to fuck off because you're not going. . Too bad you're not a super alpha male tough guy mafia boss I like I pretend to be over the phone.

Comment

Say you believe eyewitness testimony is the worst kind of evidence.

Comment

I've been summoned three times. I've been empaneled once and sat for a two day trial. I took it seriously but my fellow jurors seemed like they just wanted to get it over with and go home.

Quick synopsis of the trial: African American young man who was charged with illegal firearms possession. The gun was in the passenger seat of a vehicle he was traveling in. There was several cops that testified that saw the gun in his possession and it seemed like a pretty cut and dry case to me. The defense lawyer played the DNA card though - it was a small gun and they couldn't get a print and defense lawyer noted that fact and "it had no DNA on it." Well, why the **** would the gun have DNA on it? The guy wasn't bleeding, he didn't spit or **** on the gun.

So the defense and prosecution wrap up their closing arguments and the judge then picked two jury alternates - I think it was 10 or 12 jurors. And guess what? I got picked as an alternate. So I was not able to deliberate with the other jurors as they put us in separate rooms.

Next, the judge brings jury in the courtroom , including the two alternates, and asks "do you have a verdict?" "Yes, we do." "Please read the verdict on the charges (the guy was charged with resisting arrest as well)" "We the jury find the defendant - NOT GUILTY on the illegal firearms possession...

What I think happened was - (and no offense to anyone); when the defense and prosecution was choosing the jury, the defense lawyer saw this guy who he thought would be sympathetic. The guy was a ghey black dude who probably had been picked on his whole life.

He was the guy who held out and the other jurors (who seemed like they couldn't be arsed and just wanted to go home) probably just said "**** it, we can't bothered."

That's my experience. If I had been given a chance to deliberate I would have argued to find the guy guilty.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                Assuming I decide to go with being dismissed, the question then becomes 'how'?

Giving extreme answers during the voir dire certainly seems like an easy way to accomplish it, but a bit too easy for my tastes. The way I look at it, if I'm going to get thrown off of a potential jury panel - I'm going out in style.

I would attempt to accomplish this by making insane statements to my fellow jurors. Perhaps I could mention that I believe the Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax, that 9/11 was an inside job, or that I believe that jury duty is just Governmental code for the selection process of being picked to be visited by Obama's death squad? But I live in the South, so I'm sure a few of these uber-paranoid gun nuts would be likely to nod their head in agreeance with me on those two statements.

Maybe I could ask the Sheriff how long the process is going to take, and then when he tells me he doesn't know I could make an impatient comment about hoping it doesn't take too long so that I could get back to "chillin' with my sneaker crew".

Or I could just shave my head into a mowhawk, put on a pair of aviator sunglasses, and dawn a green military field jacket zipped to the throat ala' 'Travis Bickle' and see what happens.
                Hahaha!

Somebody call burner and tell him to read bringer's posts if he wants to know what's happening in the lounge without reading all the threads.

Comment

Is it a lawyer that is part of the prosecution/defence that picks jurors? If it is that's ****ed up.........

Comment

last time i had jury duty it was for burglary in the first degree. was pretty much a wrap for the guy, under three strikes laws, if we got him convicted. 11 to 1 hung jury. it ain't so bad though.

Comment

I've gotten jury duty 3 times (6 days). You just have to get there and watch a crappy video and then sit some more and maybe they'll ask you some questions. I've been out of there by noon all 6 days I've had to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X