Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Prime Pernell Whitaker be successful in todays WW division?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CONQUERING View Post
    Yep. I think P beats Floyd and Manny. And yes, I'm bias toward P.
    i agree...he beats them. u wanna call me biased? so be it. i see nothing wrong in being biased towards the greatest fighter in the last 20yrs.

Comment

both Floyd & Pac matchup well with him. It would be interesting. I would favor Floyd over Pea at WW. I would favor Pea over Pac but all fights are interesting

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        I could see Pac getting lucky with a flash knockdown. Ala Buddy Mcgirt.

But Whitaker would frustrate Manny with his defense.
        I think Pac could cause him some problems with his speed & him being a Southpaw

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post
          Does he beat Mayweather, Pacquiao, Mosley and others?
          when you are a defensive wizard, you can compete in any era with success, defense is always the key.

Comment

I feel like a total ***** saying this, but he points to victory on pac...Mayweather gives him the biggest chess match of his life and it could go either way. I would lean Whitaker because I think Floyd would get aggressive first and end up losing a couple crucial rounds because of it.

Comment

For Pac, the southpaw stance would be tricky for both fighters IMO. But, pre 1996 WW Whitaker edges Pac out. The WW version of Whitaker that Rivera, Hurtado, Oscar(Whitaker beat Oscar IMO) Pac could possibly beat. Whitaker had slowed down immensely. I might think it's 50/50 or probably give the edge to Whitaker. Of course Pac beats the washed up coked out version that Tito fought.

I think it would be a 50/50 possibly very boring fight between Floyd and the pre 1996 version of Whitaker. The one who fought the likes of Rivera, I think Floyd wins.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                For Pac, the southpaw stance would be tricky for both fighters IMO. But, pre 1996 WW Whitaker edges Pac out. The WW version of Whitaker that Rivera, Hurtado, Oscar(Whitaker beat Oscar IMO) Pac could possibly beat. Whitaker had slowed down immensely. I might think it's 50/50 or probably give the edge to Whitaker. Of course Pac beats the washed up coked out version that Tito fought.

I think it would be a 50/50 possibly very boring fight between Floyd and the pre 1996 version of Whitaker. The one who fought the likes of Rivera, I think Floyd wins.
                you dont appreciate art my friend. There is nothing better in boxing then a high speed chess match. Ill take that over anything. Thats why I love the Spinks-Judah fights or early with Floyd-Mosley even though that one was a little different. Floyd-Zab also. I love watching those type of fights and if its Floyd vs Pea then that is the pinnacle

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  you dont appreciate art my friend. There is nothing better in boxing then a high speed chess match. Ill take that over anything. Thats why I love the Spinks-Judah fights or early with Floyd-Mosley even though that one was a little different. Floyd-Zab also. I love watching those type of fights and if its Floyd vs Pea then that is the pinnacle
                  Do not tell me what I do and don't appreciate.

We are not talking about a LW whitaker vs a LW Floyd. Where it could be a high speed chess match. This is a WW Whitaker vs a WW Floyd. Where both still and great and good. Styles differ. And, styles makes fights where styles can clash. And, me seeing both fighters at WW. I kinda know what to expect. It has nothing to do with art. It has to do with a style clash.

You act like there is no boring F'ing fights?

Good God.

Even really talented guys can be boring. There's a difference between a boring fight -where both styles just clash-, and art where it's a high speed chess match.

At LW I would agree, at WW not so much.

This will be no Leonard-Benitez. Which is what should be the definition of a high speed chess match at WW.

Comment

I'd make him a slight favorite against Mayweather and Pacquiao and a prohibitive favorite against everyone else. Maybe even at the same time.

Comment

Whitaker beats every one from 140-147 right now.

I can't really say if Mayweather beats Whitaker, since Mayweather has never fought any one like Whitaker. But I would feel pretty safe with betting Whitaker over Pacquiao by decision, clearly. I wouldn't feel safe betting Whitaker over Mayweather, or Mayweather over Whitaker, it's just too close to call.

Pacquiao didn't even want to fight the Zahir Raheem's or Joan Guzman's, who would have most likely outboxed him. Whitaker is Raheem and Guzman put together, on steroids and EPO.

Comment

Working...
                      X