Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was prime Roy Jones most competitive and exciting fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was prime Roy Jones most competitive and exciting fight?

I'm currently watching some of Roy's old fights and most of them were blow-outs or him just giving someone a boxing lesson. I'm wondering if he ever had a really good give-and-take match back when he was younger. If he did, I guess I don't recall it...

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
    I'm currently watching some of Roy's old fights and most of them were blow-outs or him just giving someone a boxing lesson. I'm wondering if he ever had a really good give-and-take match back when he was younger. If he did, I guess I don't recall it...
    The most competitive fight of the (pre Tarver) Roy Jones era was the first Montel Griffin fight. Montel's style bothered him early. I'm not sure I would call it exciting though.

Comment

I don't know about a good give and take match prior to Tarver 1.

But Roy was involved in some fights where he lost rounds or had to deal with a spirited opponent. The Hopkins fight was fairly competitive, Vinny Pazienza showed plenty of spirit when Roy was on the ropes covering up, Lou Del Valle knocked Jones down, Virgil Hill certainly landed a fair few punches.

But yes, the most trouble Roy had prior to Tarver 1 was in the first Griffin fight.

Comment

Most competitive fight was Montell Griffin 1.

I enjoyed that fight because Ice was a short light heavyweight (only 5'7) and almost executed the perfect came plan against a fighter that was seen as invincible by most.

Griffin isn't a ATG or Hall of Famer or anything but he was a nuisance in that division for a while.

Comment

Eric Harding gave Jones plenty of trouble. But it was boring.

Comment

Hopkins was pretty competitive.
            Last edited by TBear; 07-19-2012, 03:29 AM.

Comment

I wish Sosa was given a few more rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                Most competitive fight was Montell Griffin 1.

I enjoyed that fight because Ice was a short light heavyweight (only 5'7) and almost executed the perfect came plan against a fighter that was seen as invincible by most.

Griffin isn't a ATG or Hall of Famer or anything but he was a nuisance in that division for a while.
                LMAO at nuisance...

Comment

Hopkins and Griffin I.

Comment

I thought Sosa going all out was more likely to actually win by catching Roy with a lucky punch than Griffin was fighting dirty and going to the body a ton it was really only a matter of time until he was going to get caught
                    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 07-20-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X