Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Bunce rips Doug Fischer VID

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fischer is a very good writer, but still very green as a commentator and interviewer. He would admit as much too.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
      Yeah, that was Bunce.
      If I was him, I'd have asked the cameramen to shut that down about 5 minutes earlier.

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
      He's a decent guy most of the time, but does tend to come out with stupid comments on a semi-regular basis. I remember him saying something stupid about American heavyweights a while back, even though the UK guys are in even worse shape. He's created a bit of a persona for himself. He used to talk differently a bit a lot more sensible.
      The American heavyweight situation is just a hot button topic, whenever there is a dull spot and something needs to be discussed, hey let's talk about the American heavyweight picture! Today Americans are irrelevant in the heavyweight division but it's been harped on enough, what else is there to say? Maybe the producers told him to be more confrontational, hey, it gets ratings. Look at Howard Cossell.

I agree with you about Top Rank. For Pavlik-Taylor 2, one of the commentators was Ray Mancini, who was as pro-Pavlik as you'd expect.
      I've seen some funny ones, like an interviewer who, to use a Dan Rafael term, was a neophyte to boxing asking a commentator who knew more about the sport on some low budget PPV what this one victorious journeyman fighter's future looked like in the division. The other guy was like, umm, yeah.

The UK journalists tend to be biased along national lines. My favourite UK commentator is Barry McGuigan, but even he can overrate certain people. Johnny Nelson is perhaps the strangest one, as he is also biased along weight division lines; he has Haye P4P #2, and JC Gomez #10.

You've probably seen it already but...what a strange list.
      http://www.skysports.com/experts/exp...766359,00.html
      Who knows, maybe they feel affronted by the American media and feel obligated to dole some out themselves. I think Nelson just threw his friends in the list to keep them relevant. Or maybe he knows something I don't.

Comment

Working...
      X