Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs Roy Jones: who ranks higher on the ATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    I don't think you understand the concept of p4p at all. RJJ was never supposed to be Heavyweight Champion. Lewis on the other hand, Mr. Super Heavyweight, was supposed to beat everyone he faced, and the first god damn time around at that. His two losses easily disqualify him from giving him the benefit of the doubt.
    Not sure if this directed at me, but my concept of P4P is how many other P4P greats a fighter has on his resume.. In which case, it's 2-1 to Jones, as I'd say victories over Hopkins and Toney outweigh a draw and a win over Holyfield..

Comment

At the time Lewis fought and defeated them them, David Tua (peak), Vitali Klitschko (peak), Andrew Golota (peak), Ray Mercer, Tony Tucker, Tyrell Biggs, and Razor Ruddock all had strong resumes.

EDIT: There's also an argument for Michael Grant to be put in that list. Before he fought Lewis he had earned respectable victories over a string of good fighters such as Lionel Butler, Lou Savarese, Corrie Sanders and Andrew Golota. He was heavily hyped going in to the Lewis match and many people thought his 6'7 height and 86' reach could give Lewis problems.
      Last edited by Shazam!; 03-26-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
        At the time Lewis fought and defeated them them, David Tua (peak), Vitali Klitschko (peak), Andrew Golota (peak), Ray Mercer, Tony Tucker, Tyrell Biggs, and Razor Ruddock all had strong resumes.

EDIT: There's also an argument for Michael Grant to be put in that list. Before he fought Lewis he had earned respectable victories over a string of good fighters such as Lionel Butler, Lou Savarese, Corrie Sanders and Andrew Golota. He was heavily hyped going in to the Lewis match and many people thought his 6'7 height and 86' reach could give Lewis problems.
        You mean Corey 'T-Rex' Sanders.. A 350lb US journeyman..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          You mean Corey 'T-Rex' Sanders.. A 350lb US journeyman..
          Sorry, yeah you're right. It wasn't the South African Corrie Sanders. Big difference!

I remember there were pretty high expectations of Grant around that time though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam! View Post
            Sorry, yeah you're right. It wasn't the South African Corrie Sanders. Big difference!

I remember there were pretty high expectations of Grant around that time though.
            Grant was in the top 10 and wasn't being considered by anyone else, which probably had something to do with him steamrollering all over his previous 20 odd opponents.. I believe he'd even made the cover of Ring Magazine and no one was in a rush to fight a 6'7" puncher.. Like you, I give Lewis credit for taking the fight and exposing him in style..

Comment

The bad end to Roy Jones's career does not wipe out everything he did before his fall. He did more and was easily p4p a better fighter than Lennox Lewis.

Comment

roy jones ranks higher than lewis

RJJ could rank even higher in higher in my ATG list if he had made a few better decisions in his career and taken different fights

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Good posts from Shazam..

It's quite obvious from my perspective, Hellboy's overrating is equally as bad as Sonnyboy's underrating of Lewis.. We can all be guilty of letting our hearts rule our heads, and this thread is a typical example..
                  I don't think Sonny's been excluded.. He knows he only has to sit back to prove his point on this one, as it was an open challenge for Hellboy to post this poll..
                  Unfortunately for Hellboy, he's fallen for it.. As much as I disagree with Sonny on his reckless overrating of underdogs, I'm afraid he's spot on with this one..
                  Lewis is by far the better heavyweight, but P4P Jones ranks higher..
                  However, Hellboy does have a very good argument when it comes to Jones's ducks..
                  McClellan, Benn, Jackson, Collins, Eubank, Kessler were all avoided by Jones..
                  Kessler? Benn? you have any info to back this up?

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    Why hasn't Sonnyboy responded to this thread? Did you block him? Is it because it hurts you and Shazam! when you hear the first hand truth of Lennox Lewis' career?
                    Sonnybox is delusional and I responded to one of his posts already. I have proved him wrong again and again, but he keeps on going on with the same old story, its boring debating with him.
                    Why don't you just start a Lennox Lewis fan site and only allow people who love him as much as you to post and you can all have a Lewis orgy.
                    If you dont like the thread topic why dont stay out of it instead. Or why dont you start a thread about a certain fighter who career started in 86 and was washed up by 88.

Comment

I'm tired of rehashing the same old argument with you and your boyfriend Shazam!. Holyfield, regardless of how great he was capable of performing in his condition, was for the most part a sliding fighter but was still capable of having historical nights. Just shows how good he was. .
                      So was it a good win or not according to you?

Tyson was a bum in 2002 (and still took the great Lennox 8 rounds),.
                      Thats because he chose to be one, you notice I said past prime, right?
                      and the only reason anybody knew who McCall was is because he upset Lewis, so for Lewis to beat him, like he should have the first time, is not a glorious win, regardless of what your deluded mind may tell you. Morrison who? Give me a break, man.
                      Did I say it was a glorious win?
                      Jones accomplished more than many fighters could ever dream of, and for you to compare underachiever of the century, over rated, bum beater, contender ducking Lewis.
                      Instead of stating this like its a fact, why dont you present your arguement instead? You do have one, right?
                      to the great Roy Jones Jr tells me and everybody here that you're just a delusional fanboy who has no idea what he's talking about, who would rather defend his favorite fighter until death than face reality.
                      lol at this, your getting upset because I favour another fighter over Jones? lol
                      Here's an idea. Next time you're horny for Lewis, don't come to this site and post, just go to the bathroom and rub one out. :wank:

Once you get all your lust for Lennox out, you will be able to think with a more clear head - the one on your shoulders, not the one in your pants.
                      Personal insults because I dont rate your favourite fighter? How old are you, 10 years old?

Comment

Working...
                      X