Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Golden Boy/Haymon on the verge of controlling Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Golden Boy/Haymon on the verge of controlling Boxing?

Think about it for a second and how much the boxing landscape has changed over recent years.

With Golden Boy's close relationship with Stephen Espinoza - Vice President and General Manager of Showtime Sports - it has allowed them to broadcast many fights recently after their HBO output deal has since concluded. Such a link has effectively turned Showtime into a unofficial networking partner.

Couple the fact that Showtime has now captured Mayweather from the industry leader HBO and this leaves HBO with a gaping hole in terms of their superstar potential - the KO loss of Pacquiao does not help. This would mean HBO would be keen to throw money towards a young and appealing boxer such as Broner - another GB fighter.

Trying to secure a boxer such as Broner to HBO their would leave GB/Haymon possessing arguably the most important fighters in the sport. Enabling them with a stranglehold of both broadcasting companies.

The growth of GB over the last few years has been interesting to see as has the decline of their greatest rival Top Rank.

In my opinion I can't see Top Rank lasting long in this battle with recent upsets of Pacquaio and a limited roster, it will be hard to see the likes of Donaire and Rios carrying the Top Rank brand.

Throw in the expected retirements in the upcoming years of greats Marquez and Pacquaio and it will be very difficult for Top Rank to compete with Golden Boy.

Please share/add/discuss. I should add this is purely an opinion that I am sharing, I am not for or against either company as both are capable of poor conduct.
    Yes, GB is the future
    53.85%
    No, Boxing will stay as it currently is
    38.46%
    Unsure, something else can happen
    7.69%

Imagine in one years time what would happen if they GB & Haymon told HBO they were gonna take Broner to Showtime unless they cut Top Rank out.

They would literally just have Pac Donaire and Golovkin who im sure is gonna need GB's fighters.

Bob is in big big trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTrue View Post
      Imagine in one years time what would happen if they GB & Haymon told HBO they were gonna take Broner to Showtime unless they cut Top Rank out.

They would literally just have Pac Donaire and Golovkin who im sure is gonna need GB's fighters.

Bob is in big big trouble.
      My exact point, GB/Haymon are in the drivers seat and are in a possible position where they can dictate to HBO.

HBO need GB/Haymon more than GB/Haymon need Showtime.

Comment

I don't care. As long as 1 promotional company can get all the fighters, I'm fine with that.

Turn that **** into the UFC, and set up a ranking system. The champ should be able to sell himself, just by being the champ.

If it's Goldenboy and Al Haymon, all the power to them. If it's Top Rank, all the power to them.

We just can't have 10 different promotional companies.

Fugg it. Start a monopoly.

Also, **** all those damn belts. 1-2 belts top. Champ vs. Champ for unification bout. That's it.
        Last edited by Scarcaztic; 02-24-2013, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Golden Boy and Al Haymon are the future of boxing. They have both Showtime and HBO right where they want them in the palm of their hands. Kinda like the douche bag on my avatar use to a couple of years back. GBP is controlling the sport right now though.

Comment

HBO and Top Rank know how to build fighters into PPV superstars

GBP and SHO don't

It's that simple

Comment

The only problem with one promoter having too much power is the potential for more robberies and decisions in favor of the popular fighters/money makers.

But that goes on regardless with all promoters from as large as Top Rank to as small as the Miami company that promoted the Barthelemy fight earlier this year.

Comment

No one promotional outfit will be able to control boxing from flyweight to heavyweight unless they do what Dana White did with MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                  The only problem with one promoter having too much power is the potential for more robberies and decisions in favor of the popular fighters/money makers.

But that goes on regardless with all promoters from as large as Top Rank to as small as the Miami company that promoted the Barthelemy fight earlier this year.
                  Well then that's the price we'll have to pay, I guess. As long as we get unification bouts, with no BS.

The most important thing to me is, knowing who the best is at each weight class.

Comment

GGG golofvkin aint toprank, also I see HBO teaming up with Zanfer probably to fill in gaps for fights.

Comment

Working...
                    X