Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Margaritto ever an Elite level fighter???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Margarito is a bum but you wouldn't know that cause you don't know a good fighter from your dick.

And Oscar was an elite in every sense of the word but you wouldn't know that either.
    wrong...........margarito is a cheater with a granite chin................

Oscar is an overhyped mofo who picks on midget..............3/4 of his career.............

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
      clottey was luckily injured against margarito.............
      Clottey has some kind of excuse every time he loses. He just mentally folds in fights.

Comment

clottey was luckily injured against margarito.............
        Suuuuuuure!! Just like he had diarrhea vs Pac.

Comment

Oscar is an overhyped mofo who picks on midget..............3/4 of his career.............
          Oscar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
            Margarito was a good fighter.

He beat Clottey, Sergio Martinez, Cotto, Six Heads Lewis, Kermit Cintron a couple of times, defended the WBO title a bunch of times, and was high up their in the rankings of ring magazine for years in the round robin welterweight division(Spinks, Baldomir, etc).

He had a pretty good fight with PWill, lost to Pac and Mosley *but most do.

He's mostly past it now, but he was definitely in the conversation for most of the 2000s.
            Originally posted by SugarRayCurtain View Post
            Miguel Cotto
            Joshua Clottey
            Kermit Cintron twice
            Sergio Martinez (Green)
            Almost beat Paul Williams

I dont think he was ever elite but he did fight stiff competition and alot of the time won.
            I wonder what you guys mean by elite.

Like of all time or something?

He was elite most of the 2000's and had the WBO title on lockdown.

Just good fighters don't do that.

He wasn't the best ever, but damn he beat a lot of good dudes.

Cotto,Clottey, Lewis, Cintron, Lujan, Martinez, Antonio Diaz, Danny Perez and he pretty much fought them all.
            Originally posted by Heebarican View Post
            Depends how you define elite. He was never a spectacular fighter, but he was most definitely world class.
            Originally posted by BoxingScenery View Post
            I agree, and kinda disagree with respect, you see Margarito for the longest time wanted to fight guys like De La Hoya and Mayweather, and before you even say he would've lost anyway to one or both, he never got the opportunity. After staying in the ring and holding his own with Paul Williams, who was avoided by almost everybody at welterweight and completely handling Cintron twice, not a lot of people were in a rush to fight this guy. He got his biggest fight vs Cotto, plaster or not, we don't know. He called out De La Hoya after, but Oscar chose to fight Manny Pacquiao (in hindsight Oscar maybe should've fought Margarito instead at 154). Then he went on to lose to a HOF in Shane Mosley...he lost badly, made people scratch their heads, but going back, sometimes it's all about getting the opportunity and for some reason, whether it was his length, his style, the pressure, whatever, he wasn't getting fights at 147, which was his ideal weight in his prime....he was a solid fighter who had some good moments at 147.

BUT, the answer is NO he wasn't an elite level fighter by definition, he just didn't accomplish enough but he had his run, he had a fan friendly style, a no-duck reputation...you can see why he had a good fan base who supported him.
            I really don't have much input after these quotes...

I just find it funny how folks would like to think of Margo the way he is now, compared to the way he was then.

Margo had his time. The man didn't lose a fight for almost 12 years at WW (until PW).

Margo was a top dog at welter weight. Like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              Suuuuuuure!! Just like he had diarrhea vs Pac.
              Clottey vs Margarito.....................reason probably being true.............

Clottey vs Pac and cotto............................obviously an excuse

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                Oscar>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cotto.
                Oscar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jose cotto.........................

Comment

margarito > martinez... is martinez elite?...

Comment

what a hater.

Comment

I mean when Cotto was kneeling he had to be above him.

Genuflecting at Margarito's altar
                      i loved that fight.

i love seeing guys just beat down more skilled/faster opponents through heart and toughness.

Comment

Working...
                      X