If Carlos Monzon moved up to LHW.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Carlos Monzon moved up to LHW.

How would Monzon have done at LHW?

He was a good boxer but had avantages in height and strength at middleweight.
    He would lose these against lhw's I think he would not win a championship at that weight and if he did he certainly would be beatable.

Comment

Carlos would get his behind handed to him repeatedly.

Comment

- -Monzon and Bob Foster eras near identical, so he ain't beating the freakishly tall ko artist Foster

Monzon could handle the riff raff contenders, but there'd be no $$$ or accolades in it, so why bother other than to satisfy future internet riff raff fans? Doing an all time number on the middle div was quite enough, thank you.

Comment

Today Sulaiman would make him a belt. In the old days, maybe not. No one was ever able to put much test on him at middleweight--he was too great a ring general to even allow it. He was not fast, so he controlled distance. He made everyone fight the way he wanted.

Comment

Does anyone know what Monzon's walk-around was? What did he enter the ring weighing?

It's easy to say he was cutting massive weight, but he just seemed to have a super lean frame. He wasn;t bigger than Hopkins. He might have had 5 pounds on Ray.

I doubt he does well at Light Heavyweight in any era. Even if he entered the ring as a true Light Heavyweight, he would have lost the natural advantages he exploited at Mw.

that's part of why I don't rank him very high. He had magnificent performances at Middleweight, but he never braved the LHw division. And I think we all know why.

Comment

Working...
            X