No announcement yet.

Quick Amateur question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Amateur question

I have a friend who claims that he doesn't fight out of a gym and trains himself. He does compete in amateur bouts, but I find that complete bullshit, and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you are not able to compete if you are not a part of a gym or club. Can anyone validate this at all? Am I right? And if so, can you give me your source so I can call him out on it? Haha.

Yes it's possible BG, we went to a show in Iowa a few months back, and there was a kid (he was 22 btw) who fought his 1st amateur fight in the Open Class for the Golden Gloves here in Chicago...how? no clue!, but it was in his book and of course he got his ass whooped, he's never been in a gym and never had a coach, and showed up to compete in Iowa.

He fought, this time against a novice, and lost again, but had to ask someone to work his corner for him. It was a shame to see, he had heart and passion, but 0 technique, he didn't know what "one-two" meant, or basic head movement, he made it all 3 rounds tho, but lost the decision.

I don't agree with it, but I guess to USA Boxing, as long as you pay for your license and the show allows it, have at it.

Comment

You can fight with out being out of a local club, you'll just be announced as unattached or crazy...................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        You can fight with out being out of a local club, you'll just be announced as unattached or crazy...................Rockin'
        This is what he was classified...unattached

Comment

That's crazy. I think it's a bit dangerous to allow "unattached" amateurs to fight. The guy I was talking about is 17.

Where are you from WarCotto? We travel a lot to Iowa for fights as well as Wisconsin. Nearby state?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
            That's crazy. I think it's a bit dangerous to allow "unattached" amateurs to fight. The guy I was talking about is 17.

Where are you from WarCotto? We travel a lot to Iowa for fights as well as Wisconsin. Nearby state?
            Yea, its pretty insane on the boxers behalf too, but yea we compete in Iowa every now and again..We're in Chicago, Do you guys ever come to Chicago?
            Last edited by ..WaRSpencE..; 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM.

Comment

There's a lot of guys who don't belong to a gym and train out of their homes with relatives who coach them. There are also guys who go to local gyms but when they fight, they fight as unattached because they don't want to be affiliated with the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
                Yea, its pretty insane on the boxers behalf too, but yea we compete in Iowa every now and again..We're in Chicago, Do you guys ever come to Chicago?
                Not really, unless there is a big card there or a tourny hosted there, I don't think we'd travel that far. Iowa is right under us (obviously ha) so it's not too bad of a trip. We travel down there once every couple months. I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen each other.

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                There's a lot of guys who don't belong to a gym and train out of their homes with relatives who coach them. There are also guys who go to local gyms but when they fight, they fight as unattached because they don't want to be affiliated with the gym.
                I've never seen one other than my friend. Must be a lot less common in the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                  Not really, unless there is a big card there or a tourny hosted there, I don't think we'd travel that far. Iowa is right under us (obviously ha) so it's not too bad of a trip. We travel down there once every couple months. I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen each other.

I've never seen one other than my friend. Must be a lot less common in the Midwest.

I wouldn't doubt it, only place we compete in Iowa is Fort Madison tho, ever been there?

Comment

Yes it's possible BG, we went to a show in Iowa a few months back, and there was a kid (he was 22 btw) who fought his 1st amateur fight in the Open Class for the Golden Gloves here in Chicago...how? no clue!, but it was in his book and of course he got his ass whooped, he's never been in a gym and never had a coach, and showed up to compete in Iowa.

He fought, this time against a novice, and lost again, but had to ask someone to work his corner for him. It was a shame to see, he had heart and passion, but 0 technique, he didn't know what "one-two" meant, or basic head movement, he made it all 3 rounds tho, but lost the decision.

I don't agree with it, but I guess to USA Boxing, as long as you pay for your license and the show allows it, have at it.
                    wow, that's pretty crazy to hear. i can't imagine how he thinks he's capable of competing with people who train around other fighters and have actually trainers helping them out.

what gym do you belong to? i'm in chicago too, never boxed before though. i've thought about joining a boxing gym, possibly trying to compete in the ams once i get to learn some technique and stuff. is your gym open to that kind of stuff?

Comment

Working...
                    X