No announcement yet.

Virgil Hunter speaks on training Amir Khan, and why he felt Cotto lost to Trout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
    I dont care what hunter says. Kahn aint going to do ****.
    Originally posted by BrokenHat View Post
    Oh like win two world title champion ships? Make over 50 million dollars? Have close to half a million twitter followers? Fight repeatedly on HBO, and become a household name in the UK? And all before 25.

You're an idiot. And you got over 2000 posts, if someone isn't doing **** with their life, that would be you loser.
    I am pretty sure Ko King is talking about Khan's prospects about competing with the best not his money making potential and fan base. Angel Garcia may have called it right that Khan's run at the top is over. I can see him doing well against the lower level opponents in a build up to getting a championship fight but at top level against the likes of Bradley,Garcia and few other guys I just see him coming up short.
    He will make money but as Angel Garcia said he may well be a manufactured champion and not a real one. Khan is a good fighter but not an elite one and don't see him becoming one.

Comment

Originally posted by JuanRakan View Post
      Everybody knows that Khans chin is an issue. Even Virgil Hunter knows it but obviously wont say it. Virgil is basically saying that he is teaching Amir to not be so conifident and depend on his outside game and boxing ability more than his heart and will. he is teaching him defense so he wont get hit as oppose to trying to solve the unsolvable: his chin. I like Amir Khan but it just sucks that he doesnt have punch resistance. he has all the heart in the world! It I was his manager I would have no problem putting him in there with the likes of Tim Bradley, Paulie Malignaggi and even Devon Alexander, Kell brook and possibly Robert Guerrero. I think he can handle that level of punching power as oppose to a Lucas Matthysse or one of those really heavy handed guys. He has a few milion dollar pay days if he plays his cards right. He's only in his mid 20's to, so hes fairly fresh.
      You dont get it, what virgil says (and the truth) is that it issent Kahns chin that is the problem because those two knocdowns he got up from and both of them would have put most fighters into a coma.
      Danny`s whole plan was to get under kahns skin and make him open up and forget about defense, and then simply wait until there is a opening and then BAM shoot that left hook that drops all his apponents.
      Garcia tried to land that punch the whole damm fight, and kahn and freddy was cluless about what was to happen, witch is ameturish.
      Get it its kahns lack of ajustment and knowledge that puts him into situation where he gets floored.
      In the Maidana fight he was more caution, because he had preperd for maidana.
      And despite the fact that maidana look never looked more ferosious and hungry for the KO, kahn suvived and won the fight.

You would be suprised have easy it is to knockout someone even pro fighters if the are exposed and you hit them right.

Kahn needs mental training,not a new jaw, he knows it and his team knows it and that is why the chose Virgil
      Last edited by 110110110; 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenHat View Post
        Oh like win two world title champion ships? Make over 50 million dollars? Have close to half a million twitter followers? Fight repeatedly on HBO, and become a household name in the UK? And all before 25.

You're an idiot. And you got over 2000 posts, if someone isn't doing **** with their life, that would be you loser.
        Lol a you worried about is money. i doubt dude made 50 million dollars.

what I'm talking about is him fighting. dude isnt going to do nothing but get his azz kicked by any fighter that is halfway decent.

Comment

Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
          , Kahn needs mental training,not a new jaw, he knows it and his team knows it and that is why the chose Virgil
          Khan has no ability to think on his feet in the ring, he is not too bright out of it either. His ring IQ is at special needs dunce level. I am not sure Hunter can put in what God left out.

Comment

I don't think Khan could have come up with a better trainer tbh. It was certainly the right call to leave Roach. You only fight the way you spar and when Freddie is offering 1000 dollar bonuses to fighters to get a KD, every sparring session turns into a war and ultimately on fight night the fighter comes to the ring with that mentality which ultimately cost Khan big time.

Comment

Hunter is the right type of trainer for Khan, but it's going to take some time to get real results, if they ever come at all.

Forget his chin, forget even his lack of an inside game, consider his lack of boxing intelligence. Khan isn't a natural fighter mentally, despite his physical tools. When Plan A isn't working, Khan has a hard time making adjustments and adapting to the situation. On top of that, his macho-bravado ego destroys his discipline in the ring, making him forget his vunerabilities to try and impress the fans. I'm not yet convinced that Khan can be taught to understand the sport in the way he needs to be able if he wants to be a big star.

Amir Khan working intelligently behind strictly one-two combinations from distance, keeping his guard up and not lunging in, using good ring generalship and footwork to avoid the ropes, throwing fast combinations only when an opponent is particularly vunerable is an extremely difficult fighter to beat. Whether he can learn the ring intelligence and keep the discipline to execute is another matter.

Comment

Virgil's going to try introduce a 'safety first' dimension to Khan's fighting. That's going to take a lot of work. Khan's instinct is to throw shots, he's an offensive fighter and overwhelming people with lightening combinations is what he does best. Is it possible to blend that with the style exemplified by a guy like Ward?

Ward's approach is one where if he isn't in control of a situation, he shuts it down. He makes sure no one gets off if he doesn't. Putting all the issues around being able to that effectively to one side, it's a dramatically different mentality to the one cultivated by Freddie Roach, and the one that has characterized Khan's entire career.

The challenge for Hunter in developing this new hybrid fighter, Khan Mk II, is not taking away from what made the guy a top fighter in trying to give him something else. Maybe small changes will make a big difference to Khan, but if they don't I don't think there's that much Hunter can do.

Comment

Khan will make a hell of a counterpuncher! Is that what Virgil trying to teach him?

Comment

Man hunter is that dude. You have to respect that mans approach to the fight game. You can tell he has a very detailed eye when it comes to boxing. Doesn't seem like he will overload himself with fighters cause he is the hot name and can make money. I think as a trainer its better to have 2-3 high echelon fighters who make good to great money than it is to have 5 or more fighters not getting the attention they need and make decent money.

Comment

Cotto got tired because trout kept hitting the pit of Cottos stomach.

Comment

Working...
                      X