Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Steward’s Death a Big Loss for Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Steward’s Death a Big Loss for Boxing

by David P. Greisman - Joni Mitchell was partially correct: We (sometimes) don’t know what we’ve got until it’s gone. This has been true with regrettable frequency this year with the deaths of multiple fighters and notable figures in boxing. In many cases we mourn people whose names might not have passed through our lips in quite some time, as befitting the nature of a sport in which those no longer in the spotlight are left to fade away quietly.

That does not mean their losses mean less.

We paid just tribute to Corrie Sanders, for example, whose imprint had been left on us following his brief ascent toward the top of the sport when he had summarily dispatched of Wladimir Klitschko in less than two rounds, and whose battles with Vitali Klitschko and Hasim Rahman had been valiant even though he was not victorious.

And we gave due respect to Angelo Dundee, the famed trainer who had been in the corner of two of the United States’ most acclaimed boxers in Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard, who had worked with several others, and who had long been established as a piece of living history.

There was no mental separation with Emanuel Steward, however. He was here, and now he is gone. His death hits particularly hard. It’s not just because of how quickly he passed away, but also because we knew what we had with him — because of how long he had held such a strong and positive influence on the sport. [Click Here To Read More]

Very well said. I honestly had a hard time reading it because of how accurate it is and because of how well it reinforces what a great man we have lost.

Comment

Writer is right: this loss was harder than most because he was just here. Just healthy. And now, just like that, he is gone. Definitely has filled me with sadness.

Comment

wow, I just found out about this.... R.I.P. Emmanuel......

Comment

I know I am going to miss Steward on HBO. One of boxing best trainers all time.

Comment

Working...
          X