No announcement yet.

Broner vs. Burns or Malignaggi in June

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broner vs. Burns or Malignaggi in June

http://ring tv. craveonline.com/blog/177639-schaefer-targets-broner-vs-burns-or-malignaggi

BROOKLYN, N.Y. -- Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said he is considering a lightweight unification bout between undefeated WBC beltholder Adrien "The Problem" Broner and twice-beaten British WBO counterpart Ricky Burns for June 15, or possibly opposite WBA welterweight titleholder Paulie Malignaggi on June 22.

Burns (35-2, 10 knockouts) recently cut ties with English promoter Frank Warren, most likely dissolving an April 20 unification bout with Mexican IBF beltholder Miguel Vazquez (33-3, 13 KOs), though some reports say the fight could still happen.

"I'm going to talk to Frank again on Monday, and I'm going to make it publicly known as well that if he wants to fight Adrien Broner, that we are ready to go -- if that's what he wants," said Schaefer.

"So we're going to do one of two things. We're going to go June 15 from the Mandalay Bay [in Las Vegas] with Broner against Burns, or, we're going to go June 22 with Broner against Paulie Malignaggi at Barclays Center. Paulie has agreed to the fight."

Schaefer made his comments at Barclays Center in Brooklyn prior to Friday's weigh-in for Saturday night's HBO-televised matchup between 48-year-old former RING light heavyweight and middleweight champ Bernard Hopkins and IBF 175-pound titleholder Tavoris Cloud.

A winner of five straight welterweight fights, two of them by knockout, Malignaggi (32-4, 7 KOs) informed ******.com recently that he had been formally contacted by Golden Boy about a potential fight with Broner (26-0, 22 KOs), who is 23.

"I think that Adrien is a very talented guy, but it's a very winnable fight for me. Adrien is a guy who is getting a lot of hype and a lot of press, so a win over a guy like that would put me in a great spot," said Malignaggi, 32, of Broner, who scored his sixth straight stoppage victory in the fifth-round last month against ex-beltholder Gavin Rees on HBO.

"So it was brought up to do a fight with Broner at June 22 at Barclays Arena. Obviously, it's a fight against a guy that people consider to be the future of the sport, yadda, yadda, yadda. So, having said that, if Adrien wants to take a chance on a welterweight opponent like me and he's that confident, then why not?"

A native of Brooklyn, Malignaggi has not lost since falling by 11th-round knockout as a junior welterweight against Amir Khan in a failed bid to earn the WBA's 140-pound belt in May of 2010. Malignaggi is coming off October's split-decision victory over Pablo Cesar Cano at Barclays Center.

Here's to hoping Broner-Burns happens

Comment

Burns will not fight in June, GBP just throwing his name out

Comment

I prefer the Burns fight but Broner Malignaggi will happen in June

Comment

Broner vs. Malignaggi is a done deal. Broner vs. Burns is history. It is on the Boxing Scene top headlines now up near the top. I just got through reading about it. June 22nd It's Broner vs. Malignaggi. If Broner wins it will be interesting to see who he defends his new tittle against. If he fights Thurman then he is a warrior. If he fights some easy fringe contender then I think he went to welterweight to avoid guys like Matthysse and Garcia at 140.

Comment

Burns would never fight Broner whilst Warren remains his promoter, Warren would duck the fight the same way he made Hatton duck the Mayweather fight at 140 three different times.

Comment

How is this a winnable fight for Malignaggi? What advantages does he have?

Paulie isn't a big guy; he has no power, and his legs are shot.

Broner should be fighting someone better, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X