Collapse
No announcement yet.

(VIDEO)11-17-12 Sparring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on who your sparring with you need 14oz the 18 could be used for conditioning workouts on a heavy bag doing non stop 1/2s for 6 one min rounds.
    I don't know nor could I tell what you were actually working on in the session so I'll keep my comments on what needs to be corrected immediately. You square up as soon as you do anything! That eliminates any meaningfull right hand (are you a lefthanded) cause you throw your right hand like a southpaw converted! Squaring up eliminates power except for wide hooks and your in a bad position to take any punches because when your not "in balance" all kinds of shots will knock you off balance or could hurt you! Keep your lead foot in the "bucket" (forward) and turn that right shoulder in when the right hand gets extended. You slip inside (head movement) to the point of giving it away everytime. Slip shots inside & out (head movement) and against these spar guys stay CLOSE and make them miss by small margins. That way your in position to counter and a short step in is all you'll need to land. When you make someone miss by the smallest margin your in control of that area.

Work hard on getting your right hand working properly, the heavy bag will help you develop more power and the mirror will correct you from squaring up. This is a big deal for you to correct NOW you are essentially a one handed fighter and thats a problem when you fight someone with TWO hands hahahaha!! I give you my opinion of the negative because its most important especially when its a majot flaw!
    Your jab is good, quick and can be powerfully when you step in hard with it. The hooks are good also and you move your feet well other than sliding into being squared!! Head movement is also good but the motions need to be more precise so your counters can be returned quicker! Lots more but for now make an effort the next month to correct squaring up and get that right shoulder back so your right hand is a full punch instead of a push!
    good luck, work hard, get better! Ray Corso.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Depending on who your sparring with you need 14oz the 18 could be used for conditioning workouts on a heavy bag doing non stop 1/2s for 6 one min rounds.
      I don't know nor could I tell what you were actually working on in the session so I'll keep my comments on what needs to be corrected immediately. You square up as soon as you do anything! That eliminates any meaningfull right hand (are you a lefthanded) cause you throw your right hand like a southpaw converted! Squaring up eliminates power except for wide hooks and your in a bad position to take any punches because when your not "in balance" all kinds of shots will knock you off balance or could hurt you! Keep your lead foot in the "bucket" (forward) and turn that right shoulder in when the right hand gets extended. You slip inside (head movement) to the point of giving it away everytime. Slip shots inside & out (head movement) and against these spar guys stay CLOSE and make them miss by small margins. That way your in position to counter and a short step in is all you'll need to land. When you make someone miss by the smallest margin your in control of that area.

Work hard on getting your right hand working properly, the heavy bag will help you develop more power and the mirror will correct you from squaring up. This is a big deal for you to correct NOW you are essentially a one handed fighter and thats a problem when you fight someone with TWO hands hahahaha!! I give you my opinion of the negative because its most important especially when its a majot flaw!
      Your jab is good, quick and can be powerfully when you step in hard with it. The hooks are good also and you move your feet well other than sliding into being squared!! Head movement is also good but the motions need to be more precise so your counters can be returned quicker! Lots more but for now make an effort the next month to correct squaring up and get that right shoulder back so your right hand is a full punch instead of a push!
      good luck, work hard, get better! Ray Corso.
      I have anxiety of hurting them so I play it safe in there. I know how to hit, I'll even do a heavybag video soon, it's just my head. It's pretty much all mental. I'm glad you're still on the boards because what you say makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Use your right hand into the chest area so you can punch in combination with the hook to follow so your not jepardizing anyones health. Having compasion for your gym brothers is noted but pad them up (chest pad) if you have to. Sparring half way is ok when your working on techniques but you need to spar all out at times (90%) so you can simulate a fight. When you spar 50 rounds for technique you need to have atleast 7 to 8 rounds of high energy! If your a competitive boxer you need to open up in sessions find someone who has the ability to box "open sessions" with you! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
          Use your right hand into the chest area so you can punch in combination with the hook to follow so your not jepardizing anyones health. Having compasion for your gym brothers is noted but pad them up (chest pad) if you have to. Sparring half way is ok when your working on techniques but you need to spar all out at times (90%) so you can simulate a fight. When you spar 50 rounds for technique you need to have atleast 7 to 8 rounds of high energy! If your a competitive boxer you need to open up in sessions find someone who has the ability to box "open sessions" with you! Ray.
          That I'll start doing with the first boxer, he's going to be fighting 15lbs higher than me so I can turn it up on him.

Comment

Originally posted by VersaBan View Post
            That I'll start doing with the first boxer, he's going to be fighting 15lbs higher than me so I can turn it up on him.
            Are you really left handed though Vers because I know I asked the same question a long time ago and you didnt respond.

Comment

Nice head movement as others had said.

But the thing I'm wondering, is that style really for you? Is that really beneficial to the way you fight? I can see you admire Tyson and mirror him in the way you fight, but it doesnt seem like youre doing anything with the style.

For instance you move your head, and a lot of times it just looks like youre just moving your head rather than doing anything with it and the guy is just waiting for you to finish. A true bob-weave fighter uses his head to confuse people.

Tyson used his head movement for defense but that was about it, when he was attacked. You're doing good defensively like him when the punches come but youre not doing anything with it, it doesnt seem like youre a heavy attacker.

Seems to me you might be better suited with another stance or form of movement/strategy.
              Last edited by Layzie Kidd; 11-23-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Naw, I'm right handed. I just have power in both hands so I use it to my advantage.
                Originally posted by AyoMaDu View Post
                Are you really left handed though Vers because I know I asked the same question a long time ago and you didnt respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
                  Nice head movement as others had said.

But the thing I'm wondering, is that style really for you? Is that really beneficial to the way you fight? I can see you admire Tyson and mirror him in the way you fight, but it doesnt seem like youre doing anything with the style.

For instance you move your head, and a lot of times it just looks like youre just moving your head rather than doing anything with it and the guy is just waiting for you to finish. A true bob-weave fighter uses his head to confuse people.

Tyson used his head movement for defense but that was about it, when he was attacked. You're doing good defensively like him when the punches come but youre not doing anything with it, it doesnt seem like youre a heavy attacker.

Seems to me you might be better suited with another stance or form of movement/strategy.
                  Good observations. For the most part, I can't see shyt with my headgear. I need to buy another one or wear one ever so often. For the most part, I use my reflexes to see the punches and my peripheral vision. Now, when I can see good without headgear? That's when the fun begins.:sarcastic:

Comment

good job man, while you didn't throw many punches you did show some good headmovement with slipping and such and you remained perfectly calm in there.

with your head movement, which is very much like Tysons, you are going to want to make your movements shorter and crisper. If you notice Tysons are all done quickly with little to no wasted movement. In addition, obviousley you are going to want to add punches being thrown into your crouching slips. The only shot I really saw you throw during those slips were hooks. Stick a shot out in that rythme of swaying back and forth. Stick the right hand right into his nose while your rolling under his hooks, stick a hook in his nose wehile youre rolling under his rights and then come over the top with the right hands. Do you see what I mean.

No you didn't really throw many punches but you worked good.

Funny thing, in between rounds while I was getting instructions I would stand 'pelican' style just like you, with one leg supporting and one leg resting. That tells me that you could use some road work.

Nice job..................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      good job man, while you didn't throw many punches you did show some good headmovement with slipping and such and you remained perfectly calm in there.

with your head movement, which is very much like Tysons, you are going to want to make your movements shorter and crisper. If you notice Tysons are all done quickly with little to no wasted movement. In addition, obviousley you are going to want to add punches being thrown into your crouching slips. The only shot I really saw you throw during those slips were hooks. Stick a shot out in that rythme of swaying back and forth. Stick the right hand right into his nose while your rolling under his hooks, stick a hook in his nose wehile youre rolling under his rights and then come over the top with the right hands. Do you see what I mean.

No you didn't really throw many punches but you worked good.

Funny thing, in between rounds while I was getting instructions I would stand 'pelican' style just like you, with one leg supporting and one leg resting. That tells me that you could use some road work.

Nice job..................Rockin'
                      More crisp short moves will benefit a lot. I really need to fix my headgear issue because it's bothering me a lot. As for in between rounds? Hell yeah! My legs were cramping like no other, I do need to run a lot more. Good eye. I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                      X